Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Small Town Service At the Gas Station Chicken Store

Last week, there was a backup of traffic on The Gas Station Chicken Store parking lot. In fact, I drove by twice before eventually returning to do my business. Sometimes, a lot of people get there at the same time. Sometimes, the card-reader takes a while.

As I was parking, a small black pickup truck darted out from the pumps. I slammed on T-Hoe's brakes (don't tell Hick) as that black pickup sped over to the end of the building, coming to a stop with the front left tire up on the concrete bumper thingy. Kind of unusual. At The Gas Station Chicken Store, you can't use your card at the pumps. They're old. Not Mayberry old, but not equipped with a card-reader. You don't even have to pay in advance. Just pull up and pump, then pay inside. Most of the gasser-uppers are local. They know the drill.

I had about 22 oz of my 44 oz Diet Coke in the cup when an exasperated 20-something gal came in and butted in front of the people waiting. Apparently, she'd been inside already. A bag of fried chicken, and a 32 oz soda, were sitting on the side counter.

"Can I give you my license and go home to get the money and then bring it back?"

I suppose her card didn't work. Or she thought she had money with her but didn't. I guess she went out to move her truck away from the pumps, and look inside for money.

Smiley was the clerk that day. She's one of my two favorites. She pushed Butter's license back across the glass countertop.

"I'll pay for your gas. You take your license and drive home and get the money, and bring it back to me."

As Butter thanked her, and reached for her chicken and soda, Smiley pulled it across the counter and set it aside, out of reach.

"I'll keep this for you until you come back."

I set my 44 oz Diet Coke down to wait. Once Butter was out the door, I said, "Now THAT'S what I call customer service!"

The man whose turn it was laughed. "That's harsh! You could have at least let her have her soda! It's hot out."

Smiley shook her head. "I'll pay for her gas, but she's NOT getting her soda and chicken! That's probably what'll get her back in here. She wants that chicken!"

Smiley has worked there on and off since my kids were young. She's a good problem-solver. No need to have a drive-off and call the police. Or put up a WANTED poster with that gal's picture. She obviously couldn't tie her up and keep her from leaving. She used common sense. Do that gal a little favor to get her out of a bind, and the issue could be resolved. If Butter didn't come back, they'd still have her picture and license plate number on their surveillance camera.

Probably not the way a convenience store clerk in the city would handle it.

9 comments:

  1. No cash, no card, no gas in Jersey. Fill up and drive off, police will not be far behind.

    I think smiley should have kept the license and the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be expecting the gal to drive without a license!!! Breaking one law to keep from breaking another.

      Delete
  2. I think Smiley is a problem solver and I'll bet that gal came back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting she came back, too, but I'm not nosy enough to ask.

      Delete
  3. Smiley's method makes a lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less hassle than having a line back up while calling the owners or police.

      Delete
  4. Smiley is my kind of gal. Lats year sometime, I was getting my 44oz diet coke at our local Zip trip and this young mom came in dressed in scrubs, she was counting out $3.11 in pennies , nickles and dines. Trying to get one gallon of gas to get to her job and drop the to young ones off at day care. People were waiting and one woman behind me was acting like a superior turd. The girl was short by a few pennies. I turned and looked at local turd and told the young lady to go fill up her car I would pay for it. She was so shocked (and grateful) Turd was mad at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave a dollar to a gal who was short. She was trying to buy a pint of whiskey before noon, and the cheapest bottle was more money than she had. I'm a giver like that. And an enabler...but at least I'm not a turd!

      Delete
    2. I've paid up when customers were a few cents short at my checkout, usually small sums up to about a dollar and I'd put it in from my own pocket at the end of my shift.

      Delete