Sunday, October 6, 2019

One Hundred Percent of an IceBug Is Below the Surface

Just when you thought Val couldn't stoop any lower to repulse readers...

Let the record show that every day, I carry my 44 oz Diet Coke down to my lair around 2:00 or 3:00. I also take my purple bubba cup full of ice cube crescents from FRIG II, and my yellow bubba cup of ice cube crescents, to which I add NASCAR bathroom water. It's too heavy to carry down water when I already have my magical elixir and two bubba cups of ice.

I add the water, and sip from yellow bubba cup until I go upstairs to make supper. At that point, I pour that water into the purple bubba cup of ice, which has barely melted at all. I take the yellow bubba cup upstairs, dump out the remaining contents, and fill it with ice cubes again to take back down for the evening. I add some to my magical elixir. Then when it's time to shut down New Delly and go to watch TV in my OPC (Old People Chair), I pour the water and ice left in the purple bubba cup into the remaining ice cubes in the yellow bubba cup. This way, I enjoy cold beverages all day and most of the night.

Friday night, as I was making the final water/ice transfer, I noticed something before I put the lid back on. There was a dark spot on one of the top ice cubes. What in the Not-Heaven? Was it a shadow, from a little melted bubble area? I poked at the ice cube in question. It was NOT a shadow!

IT WAS A GNAT!

You know, I have a sciency background. I've always considered myself open to eating bugs. Like, if somebody offered me a chocolate-covered ant, I'd try it. The scorpions in the suckers at the old 7-Eleven store didn't bother me. And when Scott Glenn as that mean old convict rodeo rider Wes Hightower in Urban Cowboy tilted up the bottle of tequila to get the worm and bite it, I was not fazed in the least.

IT'S DIFFERENT WHEN YOU ALMOST SWALLOW A BUG IN YOUR ICE WATER!

No extra protein for me, thank you! I don't need protein in my water. I picked up that ice cube and put it in the bowl I'd used for potato chips.


"Oh, Val," you say. "It's just a little gnat." Well, let me be the one saying that to YOU when YOU'VE almost swallowed it! Take a gander at this thing!


That's one big honkin' Drosophila melanogaster, baby! I studied them in my college genetics class. I've seen them extremely up-close, and have no desire to swallow one! Sure, it's not a possibly-turd-crawling Musca domestica, and likely resulted from one of Hick's bananas that he lets lie once he decides it's too ripe. Still. It's not going over my lips and past my gums if I can help it.

Now I wonder if it got in the first batch of ice, and was possibly poured back and forth, with me sipping from it throughout the day and evening. Or if it just crawled in the straw opening of the bubba cup at the last moment. Due to the location from whence it poured, I'd say it was in the original ice of the purple bubba cup, and had been marinating since around 5:30 in my ice water.

Oh, well. I guess drinking bug water is better than swallowing the whole bug.

5 comments:

  1. Ewwww!

    We used to call water flavored from those cool aid packets "bug juice" I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you enjoyed your bug juice more than I enjoyed mine.

      Delete
  2. With those long legs it looks more like a mosquito, but still something I wouldn't want to swallow. I've tried chocolate covered ants, many years ago my mum bought a box of them and I don't remember them being worth the trouble, they're so tiny. I'm impressed that your ice doesn't melt in all that time. Here in Australia, ice becomes water in about an hour, less if you are outside in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but in person, I saw his big red eyes, and no proboscis for blood-sucking. That's after the ice cube melted a little, and he became unstuck.

      You were an anteater, heh, heh! My bubba cups are great for keeping that ice cold. The smaller cup I take in T-Hoe is not nearly as good, and by the time I get home from a shopping trip in 90 minutes, it's all melted.

      Delete
  3. Are the cups insulated? Because that would explain the non melting ice.

    ReplyDelete