Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Val Hasn't Always Made a Lotta Cents

If you were expecting a tale of how things go wrong at the checkout...get in line! Get in line right behind Val in the Walmart over in Bill-Paying Town, and hold your breath until tomorrow. Because this is not such a tale.

There I was, having just put my items on the conveyor, this checker having enough sense to pop that little rubber divider bar at the end of the previous customer's groceries. I put out my heavy things in jars, my coldstuffs, then my soft breads, then the hot General Tso's Chicken and wings. I left the two four-packs of strawberry-flavored water that Hick favors on the side of the cart, and pushed it forward, careful not to invade the space of the check-writing lady.

WHOOPSIE! What was THAT?


Yes, I'm sure you'd already guessed by now. From the title, or the thumbnail, or the picture showing above the fold. I can't seem to stay away from pennies! This was the last thing on my mind while standing in line. I usually just look in parking lots, or as I enter the door. But here was a bright shiny penny, not at all new, free for the taking.

I got my phone out of my pocket, and snapped a picture. I don't care if the old guy behind me emitting impatient vibes was giving me the stinkeye. I bent over and picked it up, putting it in my shirt pocket. Obviously, this penny was meant for ME.


It's a 1982. I don't know how it's so shiny, with Ol' Abe being so long in the tooth. I don't know of any big event in my life that happened during 1982.

For all you antipennyites...back at this time in 1982, I'd just started a new job. It paid $8,700. That's per YEAR! So anyone (none of my loyal readers, of course!) who wants to spout off about how teachers have it made, and are paid outrageous amounts (because you read about average salaries, which include administrators as well as teachers)...let the record show that in 1982, Missouri did not have a minimum teacher salary.

One thing's for sure: $8,700 is a lot of pennies, but even in 1982 dollars, it's not a lot of money. Maybe I'll tell you about my living accommodations later this week. Maybe not.

Sorry, antipennyites. Looks like you got shortchanged today!
(I really crack myself up sometimes!)
___________________________________________________________________

This was Penny # 29.

10 comments:

  1. Yikes. I began teaching in 1991. I guess I will alternate my uproarious laughter with a bit of sympathy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the state minimum hit the next year, I think. It was $16,000! Almost DOUBLE what I'd been making. Seemed like a fortune at the time.

      I appreciate the sympathy. Don't choke on your laughter, but Hick came home AN HOUR EARLY TODAY!

      Delete
  2. Instead of teaching, you could have scoured parking lots and store floors for pennies, of course the penny scouring profession has a lousy pension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...IF I'd had enough gas money to drive all willy-nilly to stores and parking lots.

      My pension is good enough, but HALF of it goes to pay for health insurance right now.

      Delete
    2. Don't even get me started on how expensive health insurance is.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. That bone of contention is stuck in my craw, too, right above the thorn in my side, which is slightly north of the pain in my rumpus.

      Delete
  3. More pennies! Yay!
    I used to want to be a teacher, then when I was 12, a couple of us were sent down to the kindergarten section to read stories to the five year olds. I never saw so many snotty noses all at once before and that alone is what changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a kindergarten reader too! We passed out cookies and milk, then read a story, while the teacher was off having a break, oblivious to the fact that when she retired, she'd have to fork out half of her pension for health insurance!

      My sister the ex-mayor's wife was a kindergarten teacher. She had a couple of kids who didn't speak English, but said they seemed to understand it, and did what all the other kids did, and learned pretty fast.

      She also had a special needs student who was incontinent. Her principal told her that changing the diaper was part of her duties. As you might imagine, that did not go over well with my sister the ex-mayor's wife! They have paraprofessionals, as well as a school nurse, for those duties. She won that battle. As she said, it wasn't the kid's fault. No ill feelings there. Just a test of wills with administration.

      Delete
    2. Nowadays I would be hesitant to remove a child's wet clothing, or diaper, as the case may be ...... you could be sued for abusing the child! Remember, I refuse to wipe butts here!!

      Delete
    3. Yes. Teachers can't hug the little kids now. We were even told not to pat them on the head, on the back, nothing. I'm surprised we weren't teaching from behind bulletproof glass with a slot to slide homework through.

      Delete