Thursday, November 26, 2015

Paranormal Hicksperience

The unexplained happenings continue.

Last week, we noticed a renewed surge of activity in Genius’s room. I say WE. The Pony is in denial. As we sat watching TV, the thumping began.

“Oh. Somebody is walking around Genius’s room again. Did you hear that?”

“No.”

“There! Hear it now?”

“Do not speak to me of such things!” The Pony held up the NO palm at me. I know he heard. He had looked up when it started.

“I don’t know why this has started again. I was texting Genius about coming home for Thanksgiving. Your grandpa’s birthday was the 17th…”

“Isn’t there a picture of him on the wall in Genius’s room?”

“Uh huh.”

“I always felt like the eyes were following me. That’s why I was afraid to go in Genius’s room.”

“There were better reasons to fear going into Genius’s room. Besides, there’s a picture of Grandpa in the hall between your rooms. And you used to say he came in your room at night to make sure nothing was going on.”

“Yes. But I don’t want to hear about it.”

Pretty sensitive for a kid who was dying to read The Exorcist.

On Monday night, I was enjoying a wonderful deep sleep in the downstairs recliner, most likely with my mouth hanging wide open.

“What?”

That was a fine how-do-you-do.

“What do you mean, 'What?' I didn’t say anything.”

“Yes you did. You said my name.”

“No I didn’t. I was asleep.”

“You said, ‘Pony.’”

“No. I did not. I was asleep.”

Let the record show that this is not the first time The Pony has accused me of saying his name. A while back, he kept coming upstairs when I was in the kitchen, saying that I had called his name. It happened a week or two ago while I was in my dark basement lair. I told him he was imagining things. But then…

Wednesday morning, as I was getting up at the alarm at 4:50 a.m. because SOME of us teacher people had to work that day until 1:00…Hick said the most interesting thing. Yeah. I know. You’ll never read THAT here again.

“Here’s something funny. After you guys went to school yesterday, I slept in. But a woman’s voice woke me up, calling my name. Then it poked me on the shoulder. Once. Like this.”

“It said your name?” Let the record show that Val does not even call Hick by name. He has complained about it before. Like in our early years, when that song came out, ‘You Never Even Called Me By My Name.’ It’s country. David Allen Coe maybe. And not sentimental in any way. Anyhoo…

“I come awake real quick! It was a woman’s voice. Around 7:15. Saying my name. And it poked my shoulder!”

“You said that. I don’t know what to tell you. A long time ago, something said my name. I was laying right here by you in bed. In the middle of the night. And it tapped me three times on the side of my neck. Tap tap tap. I don’t know what to tell you. I usually don’t have those kind of things happen at this end of the house.”

“I got up. I couldn’t go back to sleep.”

“The night before, The Pony said I called his name downstairs. I was asleep. I don’t know what you guys are hearing. You never should have wound up those clocks.”

10 comments:

  1. You guys need to run away--immediately! Just leave the house--and all the belongings in it--and start from scratch. Build a new house on a new piece of land. Then, you won't be plagued by those ghostly goings-on.

    Of course, with a new house payment and having to buy all new furniture, that means you won't be able to retire in May.

    What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New house? Oh. I thought you were inviting us to move in with YOU, Madam! After all, you won't be using your house during the day. You'll be at work. The Pony will be off to college. And Hick and I could have the run of the place. That way we can still retire. No payments. You're a peach! Always thinking of others...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. The titles are sometimes better than the posts.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you need a shaman to rid you of evil spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil? Do you know something?

      I don't feel like there's anything evil. I just don't like the unexplained. And I sure don't go looking for evil, like watching a televised exorcism, or even a fictional one.

      In fact, I am not one for horror movies, even one that's supposed to be a comedy, like Krampus, and I change the channel when a commercial for it comes on.

      Delete
  4. Tell the woman Genius will be back soon. You shod record the sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Record the sounds? Egads, woman! I don't need proof, and I certainly don't need to hear creepy talking that gets picked up on those ghost hunter contraptions.

      Delete
  5. "..and you never even called me by my name..."

    Oh, yeah, I know that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. It's a classic. Quite possibly the perfect country and western song, as it goes...

      Delete