Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Do You Think It's a Bad Omen?



When The Pony and I walked out to the garage Monday morning, The Pony stopped short. Not in the manner of Frank Costanza stopping short. That is just wrong. And not condoned by Val Thevictorian. No, The Pony stopped short of going in the garage door he had just opened.

“Did you see that?”

“No. What?”

“That tree.”

“Oh. The part that’s dead and breaking off. From the winds a couple weeks ago?”

“No. The OTHER tree.”

“I don’t see what you’re talking about.”

“Move over here. Look. Those birds.”

“Those are vultures! Turkey buzzards!”

“I know.”

“Do you think this is a bad omen? Your dad is home all week…Get me a picture!”

“I’ll send him a text. ‘Vultures in front yard. Hope all the critters are okay.’”

“Maybe they see those deer bones the dogs have been chewing.”

“Yeah. But they’re probably waiting to eat the chicks.”

As we started up the driveway, after backing out of the garage, I stopped T-Hoe.

“Pony. Get me another picture.”

“I just got you one.”

“Yeah. But look.”



10 comments:

  1. Scary--keep your pets INSIDE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outside pets are big enough to fight back. Except the half-grown batch of chicks, and they're not pets. Could explain why only 7 of the 11 remain.

      Delete
  2. The two birds at the top remind me of my favorite Gary Larson cartoon
    "Patience Hell, I'm going to kill something!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. I love The Far Side. I have a bunch from an old calendar on my classroom wall. Not this one, though:

      The one guy says to the other, as their car is nose-down in a pit of not-heaven: "You moron! From a hundred yards back, I was screaming, 'Hellhole! Hellhole!'"

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/drower/6380533377/

      Delete
  3. Kinda creepy. Like they're waiting for you to keel over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? I see how it is. They can't be waiting for Hick to keel over, or for The Pony to keel over, or even for my sweet, sweet Juno to keel over. No. They're waiting for VAL to keel over!

      Delete
  4. To think I was worried about the single Magpie that sat on my roof this morning ... Hope they soon decide to move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dodged a murder of crows and an unkindness of ravens. But a tiding begins with a single magpie...

      I, however, was beset by a wake of buzzards. So maybe they had already found a victim, and were simply paying their respects.

      Delete
  5. "If they start flying down your chimney and pecking at your face, and if a stalking, preying world-famous director is in charge, watch out," said Tippi Hendren...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Better a fate than watching one peck out the eyes of my poor Pony," said Val, not a fan of Steinbeck.

      Delete