Friday, November 6, 2015

An Excursion Into the Dark, Seamy Underbelly of the Education Profession

I try not to write about work very often on this blog. But I've nearly exhausted The Pony, and Hick has been too close to civilized lately to get any good material. So I'm exposing a sordid secret that you education outsiders may not be ready to hear.

Teachers are not allowed to fart.

Oh, there's no official rule about it. Not in the faculty handbook, not on the school website, not in a memo stuffed into a cubbyhole mailbox in the teacher workroom, not in a mass email. Still. Ask a teacher if they can fart at work.

Here's the thing. The pupils can let 'er rip. Toot to their heart's content. Walk up to my desk and emit a silent but deadly invisible cloud. Lean over on one cheek and let it reverberate off the dark blue plastic chair. Stroll to the wastebasket and putt-putt-putt like a motorboat.

But teachers can't.

In fact, sometimes a pupil tries to pin one on Mrs. Thevictorian. His nearby cronies will gag and gasp. Chastise him for fouling their air. Yet he will deny.

"It had to be you! We all heard it! You stink! Who else would it be?"

"I don't know. Mrs. Thevictorian walked by here handing out papers..."

Let me tell you, I nip that kind of uncalled-for aspersion right in the putridly-fragrant bud. But don't think I haven't considered such a tactic. As payback for the desk-pooters.

No, teachers must hold it in. Hold it. Hold it. HOLD IT until they're ready to explode. Because really, when do they get a chance to release the roiling gases that could more than likely keep the Goodyear Blimp aloft? Or maybe it's more like the ill-fated Hindenburg.

First-year teachers really need to be informed. Once the morning bell rings, you're out of luck. You're surrounded by kids for 50 minutes. And don't think you can let one slip during the four minutes between classes! Before the last pupil leaves, two from your next class will already be inside the room. Standing in the hall to supervise class-passing is not conducive to gas-passing. You'll have a little buddy who wants to stand with you and chat. And hall traffic sideswiping you from both directions. You'll have lunch duty to hustle to. And you don't dare let it out in the faculty women's restroom during your plan time, because the entire faculty population of another lunch shift (less one doing duty alone) takes up residence at the table in the teacher workroom, and they'll hear your butt trumpet, even through a heavy wooden door. More of the 50-minute torture in the afternoon. And don't think you can let that quitting time whistle blow after final bell. Because then the teacher workroom fills up with pupils shoving dollars in the soda machine. Which is not allowed, but try to yell that through a heavy wooden door while sitting on the pot clenching your butt cheeks to hold in a wind to rival a Santa Ana AND an Oklahoma plains sweeper.

So today, I thought I'd found a solution. Besides the fact that I should not eat steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots on a school night. On my plan time, I thought I might be able to sneak one out. I made sure to move away from the common concrete-block wall I share with my neighbor next door. Even under the cover of the 50-or-so enthusiastic freshmen she has that hour, right after their lunch, I was afraid to let it rumble wide open.

It was almost time for my next class. The third lunch shift was winding down. I moved over to the file cabinet to retrieve some study materials for a student's request. As I slid the metal drawer back in, I let some gas slip out. The resulting sound might have been a raspberry blown by the lips of a love child of Mick Jagger and Lisa Rinna. Louder than I had planned. Probably more aromatic that I had planned, too, what with the broccoli/cauliflower/carrot roughage last night. But I had no time to gauge the air quality because

THE DOOR TO MY CLASSROOM WAS YANKED OPEN!

I turned. Like a deer in the headlights. Val in the spotlight! I assumed it was a student coming in to ask for something. And I planned to get rid of them right away. "Wait until the bell. Come back then. It's my plan time and I'm in the middle of something." Oh, how I WAS in the middle of something! But it was not a pupil invading my domain.

IT WAS THE COUNSELOR!

"Oh. I was just getting a couple of files. What to you need?" I walked toward the door. Hoping the gaseous trail was not following me like a comet's tail.

"Where is The Pony?"

"The Pony? Oh. He's eating lunch down the hall. In his teacher's room. A lot of the kids do that."

"Oh. I was looking for him and didn't see him in the lunchroom." Obviously. Now go find him. Go find him now! The bell is about to ring. Just go. Because if you don't, you're going to be sorry.

"Nope. He's in the classroom."

Blessedly, she went on her way. It was all I could do to tighten that once-opened gas valve while she was IN THE ROOM. With the door closed!

And now you know. Why teachers are not allowed to fart. Let's keep this our little secret.

14 comments:

  1. Being a 3rd grade teacher, I'm fortunate. I can pass gas (as long as it's silent) and then move very quickly to the other side of the room. Third graders don't believe that teachers fart (even though I've told them we DO) so they end up blaming one of their classmates.

    Sometimes, I'm silent, swift and deadly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bragging is not becoming, Madam. Just because you can zip around the room like a balloon escaped from a blowhard's mouth, while Val hobbles like a hundred-year-old Galapagos tortoise, it is not necessary to tout your prowess to the nearly-retired.

      Those poor snookered children. What do you do on rainy days, for inside recess? Teach them three-card monte?

      Delete
  2. Now that you mention it I do not recall a teacher ever farting. But then we never thought teachers were human, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BECAUSE...we're not allowed to! To fart. OR be human. Except for Madam above, who seems to have mastered ONE of the two.

      Delete
  3. You have to be fart-free the whole day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...you don't HAVE to. There's no fine or jail time involved. So if you have no shame, and the mind-set of a 14-year-old boy, you can release your emissions at will. I suppose it also helps to be a devious liar. As opposed to a forthright liar.

      Delete
  4. I remember holding it so long one day because preschoolers are waist level to me, and parents wanted to chat. But when I got in my car I released the deadliest stink bomb. At that moment my boss came over, tapped on the window and said, "Roll it down." I wanted to roll away. Neither of us mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! To think you almost made your getaway! That's how I felt, in the privacy of my own classroom, until the door was yanked open by a person who NEVER comes to see me. Maybe once every five years, she has dropped in. I guess she'll remember this visit. I'm going out with a gust of glory!

      Delete
  5. Dear Val, you crack me up!!! I'm a new reader, having wandered over from Side Trips. I don't know how you manage to put into words all those convoluted thoughts that we all have but don't know how to express. Just know that I'm enjoying the heck out of it and laughing out loud when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLO...I can call you that, can't I? Because we're really informal here at Val's cathouse. I am as pleased as Sioux with her farting ability to welcome you and crack you up.

      I simply turn off my filter and let my convoluted flag fly. Many bloggers, for instance, might shy away from a discussion of feces transplants. But not Val. Val's your gal for inappropriate subject matter. That's kind of why she's anonymous.

      http://unbaggingthecats.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-we-have-here-is-success-to.html

      Delete
  6. Still another skill which school teachers cultivate and yet never receive compensation. Not even extra insurance coverage for blown gaskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's never good to hold stuff in. Like...you could get uromysitisis if you can't pee in a parking garage. So teachers could get gasimplosivitis if their flatulence is allowed to fester in their intestines for too long.

      Delete
    2. I can't believe I didn't think of that Seinfeld tie-in.

      Delete
    3. Your head must have been foggy with Sioux's emissions that drifted east with the weather.

      Delete