Monday, April 22, 2019

Val Tries to Get a Grip on the Handle Situation

You may recall that T-Hoe's door handle broke off in my hand last week. It was quite a traumatic experience for me. Now that I don't have The Pony riding around in the passenger seat behind me, available for opening that door from the inside, it put me in a pickle.
Hick called his on-call car repairman buddy, Mick the Mechanic, that very afternoon. Props to Hick for not waiting four-years-and-counting like he has about T-Hoe's backup beeper and tire pressure sensors. We drove T-Hoe over to Mick's shop that night, and left him. It only takes 7 minutes to get there.

As I was moving stuff into T-Hoe's console, to get it out of the way of jabbing knees in case somebody had to crawl across from the passenger side to get that door open... Mick came out. He had seen us lurking around amid the cars entrusted to him by other jalopy owners. Mick said the Tahoe is notorious for breakage of those plastic door handles.

"It's usually the back doors. Kids yank too hard on them, trying to get the door open when it's locked, or frozen in the winter."

I'm not sure what that says about my door-opening skills. But T-Hoe IS 11 years old now, and I get in and out multiple times a day. I am NOT a yanker!

While we were standing there, Mick's wife came out. You know. Because Val is such a prime specimen of old-lady-hood that she might steal away another woman's legal live-in mechanic. Sheesh! I already have one mechanical man. Why would I want another one?

Hick hangs out with Mick a lot, when he's not busy safe-eteering and inspection-eering his $5000 house. Usually, there's an issue that spurs the visit. Like earlier last week, when Hick backed SilverRedO into a pole. Of course he made it out to be MY fault. "Heh, heh. I just pulled a Val. I backed into a pole on the parking lot." We don't need to discuss his reference at this time. Anyhoo... I told Hick to get SilverRedO fixed.

"I didn't buy you a new used truck for you to drive around in a junker. Get your bumper fixed."

"Mick says he can do it. He says he might even have a part laying around. When he fixes one of those bumpers, he only uses the section that's damaged, and keeps the other parts for later."

Anyhoo... we picked up T-Hoe the following evening. Hick had stopped by to pay Mick on the way home from Hick House. That's a benefit of being buddies with your on-call mechanic. Your job gets rush treatment. Hick had laid the receipt on the kitchen counter where I tell him not to put stuff.

"I can't believe a plastic door handle for a 2008 Tahoe costs $72!"

"It's not the door handle, Val. It's the guts of it, not the handle. It comes in a kit. It's the parts that go inside the door that cost that much."

"Huh. Did he use my old door handle on the outside? It looked fine to me. I should have asked for my old door handle back!"


"I don't know if he used it, Val. Probably not."

"Then where is it? What's he doing with it? Using it on somebody ELSE'S car?"

"Mick wouldn't do that."

"You just told me that he does it with bumpers! Only uses the broken part. Then probably bills the next customer for a whole new bumper, and uses the other ones."

"I seriously doubt that, Val."

"Then why would he only use the section for the damaged part? Instead of replacing the whole thing?"

I couldn't understand Hick's next words. It seemed like more of a growl. Of course I couldn't wait to wind him up again the day after we picked up T-Hoe.

"I think your buddy and his workers must have taken T-Hoe to town for lunch. I swear I had more gas in there than when I picked it up."

"They didn't take your car anywhere, Val."

T-Hoe HAS been known to show a different level in the gas tank after being parked with his hood slanted down. Maybe that's all it was. I just don't want Hick and Mick to think I'm some patsy who doesn't know what they're up to in their secret greasy tooly manual-labor world!

"When I drove by the shop this morning, Mick was walking around the cars. He waved to me, and I waved back. We're kind like family now, you know."

Except for maybe driving my car to lunch and scamming a plastic door handle.

12 comments:

  1. I will never understand the workings of a vehicle. I's take it at face value, esp. if was Mick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not like I could have fixed it myself. Hick could have, but his give-a-darn is broken when it comes to my ride.

      Delete
  2. Is Mick a shade tree mechanic or a shady mechanic? Who knows until you spot your old door handle on someone else's car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mechanics go, I think Mick is pretty reputable. Much better than the place Hick used to send me for flat tire repairs. NOW I'm going to be looking at car handles, and I might miss a penny!

      Delete
  3. Either way, $72 is a bargain. Most p;aces around here charge $100 just to look at problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With labor, the total bill was $102. If I'd taken it there myself, without Hick's connection, it might have been more. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think SOME mechanics have a different quote for old ladies than they do for fix-it guys like Hick...

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised a plastic door handle lasted eleven years and even more surprised at using only part of a bumper for repair jobs? What does that even mean? Does he cut out the damaged section and insert a new section? With welding? That seems wrong. Just replace the whole thing is the right way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you put it that way, I guess T-Hoe has three door handles living on borrowed time.

      I've seen some of the newer bumpers, and they have the main part in the middle, like where a trailer hitch and license plate could fit, and then curved sections at the sides, some with rubber covers on the curved part, some with a step built in. So I believe the newer ones (newer that Hick's old 1999 Ford F250) have bumpers that come in sections.

      Delete
  5. Maybe Mick Is a secret artist and those parts end up in a sculpture somewhere. I would be okay if a fixer of parts drove my car to lunch, as long as they did not smoke or change my seat settings! I am short in the leg department and like to be able to reach the pedals, so I doubt many men would be able to drive my car without changing the position of the seat. I seldom check my gas gauge, but I always know when HeWho has benn in my seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Mick has time to be a secret artist. His lot is crammed full of business.

      I don't really think they drove T-Hoe to lunch, and it's only a mile into town. I was just needling Hick about his buddy.

      I can tell when Hick has driven T-Hoe, because the button that supposedly returns my settings don't move the seat back all the way. I have your opposite leg problem! Hick drives with his belly up against the steering wheel. Like he has T. Rex arms!

      Delete
  6. You should have engraved all the parts for proper identification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That's a lot of engraving, and probably hard to do on plastic.

      Delete