Sunday, April 7, 2019

Hick House Downstairs: The Doors 04-05-19

Hick House contains many portals of assorted dimensions. Doors galore, from one room to another. My favorite was FREE!


Actually, that's a PAIR of doors. I think they're beautiful. When Hick went by the home of This Guy's Son, to pick up the truck keys, he saw these in the front yard. This Guy's Son said, "I'm throwing those doors away. If you want them for your house, you can have them." Of course Hick did! He loaded them up when he returned This Guy's truck and keys, and dropped them off in the bedroom of Hick House. The room they're using as a workshop right now.

The plan was to put these doors in that square archway (Hick is the one who originally called it an archway) between the living room and master bedroom. I'm no designer, but I could picture these beauties by day with a colorful curtain mounted on each one, gathered in the middle like an hourglass, then released at night for privacy.

Alas. My vision lasted only one day. Hick discovered that he would need to enlarge the square archway by 10 inches to fit in the doors, and that is a LOAD-BEARING WALL! He'd have to tear out part of the wall, and get a new beam 10 inches longer to span the opening. As you know, the plan for Hick House is to make a safe home that will pass city inspection. While he would have loved to put those doors in, Hick said, "I ain't spendin' money to buy a beam and re-do that archway!"

I asked what would become of those doors, and Hick said, "They're comin' home with ME!" Even though HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) had the idea to put them outside as a door for that concrete-walled garage/outbuilding. Usually HOS has better instincts than that! Hick pointed out that people would break them for fun, and that they could see inside the building if they were planning to steal tools or whatever HOS eventually stores in there.

Hick was on a door-hanging binge, I guess, and framed in a door for that archway area, rather than waiting to see if he had money left for shelves. The result is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as those frenchy kind of windowed doors.


That is now the way to get from the living room to the master bedroom. HOS has already painted the trim gray, since this picture. Hick says he's leaving the door brown, but I think it would look good in a contrasting bright color. This door was also FREE, the one Hick and This Guy drove 90 miles to get from This Guy's Brother.

The living room window has now been given its final framing. It has also gotten the gray trim treatment. Out the window, you can kind of see that concrete garage building.


The trees line the little creek, and then there's a neighbor's house on the other side.

Hick hung the door that goes from the kitchen to the back porch pantry. It's by the built-in cabinets. I assumed it was the original door to the house, because the panel design is exactly like the built-in cabinets that HOS painted gray and white.


Imagine my surprise when Hick said it was not! "I got it up at the Storage Units from my buddy. For FREE. It was a pocket door. I'll have to put a knob and hardware on it. I had to patch a little part at the bottom, but it's not that noticeable unless you know it's there."


After seeing the first coat of HOS's paint job, I think this door is going to look spectacular. Some might even call it breathtaking. You know. For a $5000 house that is being made safe and inspection-passing.

10 comments:

  1. I thought it might be herd to find a place for that...WAIT...the $5000 house with property on a creek also has a cement block utility building?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a city lot, not sure how big. The utility building is actually poured concrete or cement, not blocks. Hick called it a garage for a Model A. A slanted roof and some doors, and it would be usable to park a lawnmower or keep yard stuff in.

      You can see one side of it here in the picture from the outside window replacement.

      https://unbaggingthecats.blogspot.com/2019/03/we-need-to-talk-about-hick-house.html

      Delete
  2. I am impressed! I like the French doors better, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Hick will find another use for those doors. He won't give them to HOS for possible breakage on a garage or shed!

      Delete
  3. "I had to patch a little part at the bottom, but it's not that noticeable" Who is he kidding? That's the first thing I saw. but it's not at all noticeable now the paint is on it. I agree about the door not staying brown, but what other colours will be in the room? I LOVE those 'french' doors, it's a shame they didn't fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't seen the unpainted version, I would not have noticed it. The living room is white with gray trim. I don't know about the furniture HOS will move in, but I could see that door being a bright red or blue.

      Delete
  4. Hick is a fixer upper guy for sure. But he must a find a spot for those doors. That little bungalow is coming right along. Market value increases by the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting there: safer and more inspect-able by the day!

      Delete
  5. I so love this house tour and look forward to all your doins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later this week, another bathroom visit, and some outside updates!

      Delete