Sunday, April 28, 2019

A Pound-Pound Joke

Pound, pound.
Who's there?
Hick.
Hick who?
HICK, WHO'S GOING TO GET HIS HOT DOG PRIVILEGES REVOKED IF HE DOESN'T STRAIGHTEN UP!

I'm pretty sure Hick is still trying to kill me. He's just going about it in a very subtle way. Bumbling about, like a lovable, lumbering bear, yet still just as deadly. Appearing to have unfortunate faux pas at the expense of Val's patience and good will minimal tolerance of his blood-pressure-raising antics.

Saturday morning, for instance. We all know that Val has no need to arise at the crack of before-noon. She has no pressing engagements. With a bedtime of 4:00 a.m., expecting a few hours of slumber before starting her day of doing nothing does not seem too much to ask. It's not like Hick needs a breakfast of country ham, redeye gravy, hash browns, a half-dozen eggs over easy, biscuits slathered with butter, and flapjacks with syrup. Nope. Hick knows how to find breakfast at Country Mart's deli, or a Casey's donut, before he starts selling his Storage Unit Store wares at 8:00.

I normally arise at 9:30. Hick sees this as a travesty. He stops at virtually nothing to wake me before my time. Unless, of course, I've asked him to make sure I'm up by 9:00 on Fridays, to get to the post office before the mail goes out. Then he might give me a wake-up call at 9:20 if he thinks of it.

Anyhoo... I was awake at 7:30 on Saturday morning, as Hick was getting ready, plopping on the edge of the bed and jouncing me clean off the mattress like I was a jolly good fellow in a blanket toss. That's the only place he can sit down to put on shoes and socks, you know. On the edge of the bed. All other seating areas in the house are off limits. Oh, and he can't do it with just the natural morning light seeping through the french doors on the east side of the bedroom. He has to leave the bathroom door open so the six big round lights over the sink can reflect off the carefully placed mirrored shelf on the south wall, and right into my eyeballs through the thin skin of my eyelids.

Anyhoo... I'm pretty sure I exchanged some unpleasantries with Hick as he was telling me about his plans for the day. I might have lost consciousness from my skyrocketing blood pressure, because the next thing I knew, I heard Hick flinging dry dog food into the metal pans on the back porch, as if with a jai alai scoop. I sighed contentedly, and snuggled into my pillow for two more hours of sleep.

RING RING "Call from Hick Thevictorian" RING--

I rolled out of bed and grabbed the land line before the answering machine picked up.

"Hello? Hello?"

Nothing but murmuring. Hick's voice. Chuckle. Murmuring. What in the NOT-HEAVEN? Was he butt-dialing me? That's impossible, because Hick carries his phone in a holster on his belt. Quick Draw Faux Pas. That's him.

I looked at the clock. It was 7:53 A.M.!

Lucky for Hick, he was not within earshot or quick-trial-and-error-learning-to-shoot-a-gun shot of Val and her displeasedness with him.

Later, Hick did not even have the good sense to claim ignorance, but instead stated that he had accidentally called me while talking to his buddy at the Storage Units, and said, "Oops! Now I'm going to be in trouble for calling her." Seriously. So he had known all along that he called me, but rather than saying into his phone, "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that," he just ignored my HELLOS and joked with his buddy.

But that's not all! After confessing to this while eating his supper in his La-Z-Boy, Hick got up to go to the auction, leaving me on the short couch without a remote, watching some show on PBS about patching a basement's field stone foundation in an 1860s house.

POUND POUND!

What in the NOT-HEAVEN! I hoisted myself up and hurried to the kitchen door, where I could see Hick creepily peeping through one of the three big window in the kitchen table alcove, his hands cupping his face, making sure I was rushing to his rescue. I unlocked the kitchen door.

"You're KILLING me!"

"Forgot my keys!"

Hick stumped past me to the bedroom, then came back chuckling.

"Huh. I'm killing myself! The keys were in my shirt pocket the whole time."

I'm pretty sure Hick is trying to kill ME. Not himself.

16 comments:

  1. I've always been an advocate of letting sleeping wives lie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good rule to live by. Waking them is jerkish behavior.

      Delete
    2. I see what you did there!

      Delete
    3. Just subtly trying to educate you in the ways of non-JERKness...

      Delete
  2. I'm at a loss here, don't know what to say. Separate bedrooms? A smack upside the head? A spare remote for the TV?
    You must be made of sterner stuff than me. I couldn't put up with such shenanigans as long as you have. Around here it's my way or the highway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes Hick feels my wrath. Sometimes he teeters on the brink between the good outweighing the bad. It's hard for me to take, but being perfect, I give him a break and let him stay!

      Delete
  3. Thisis a Lucy episode allover again. I laughed out loud at this one. Chicken soup is looking for LOL stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy for my misfortunes to entertain others. I will look into what Chicken Soup is looking for.

      Delete
  4. I tend to be quite vocal when HeWho stumbles around the bedroom with all the lights on. Total lack of consideration. I dress silently, with only the light from the hall, shush the dogs and leave him in blissful slumber. He shushes the dogs in a loud whisper and … I swear he makes them bark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty much married to the same man, with just a different outer coating.

      Delete
    2. I'll make you both jealous: my first husband could dress in the dark and leave the house without waking me or the baby. I guess its what you learn in Vietnam, be quiet or be shot.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'm jealous. He learned his lesson well.

      Delete
  5. I think Hick has a twin brother, my HUb's, except my hubs can do nothing mechanical, he can play the piano and the violin well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might just be half brothers, because the only thing Hick can do with a piano is move it into our house (we have two), and a violin is something he would collect (hoard).

      Delete
    2. HeWho plays drums and he does it well. Now I am curious about the pianos. Does anyone play?

      Delete
    3. Genius plays. He had lessons before he even started school. His first recital was the most precious thing I had ever seen. He doesn't play much, because he outgrew his musical interest and switched to computers.

      One piano was my mom's. She took a college class in music appreciation, and could pick out a melody with one hand. She said she always wanted a piano, and that's why we had it. I can play a melody with chords. That's about it. The Pony tinkers with it, but his expertise was in trombone.

      The other piano, in the basement, is from my grandma's house (Dad's mom). She got it from my old elementary school when it was being torn down. She used to be on the school board. I don't know if she played, but her husband was a wizard with keyboards, and they had an old organ that the boys liked to play when we visited.

      Delete