Monday, April 1, 2019

Hick Is in a Pickle

One of these days, Hick is going to listen to me. You might recall that I cautioned him about jumping right into renovations on the $5000 house. Started working before he even handed over the purchase price, in cash, to This Guy's wife. Cautioned him about not having anything in writing saying that the $5000 house was now his. Not even a scrap of paper written on with a nubby pencil.

"Oh, she knows it's mine. She put the money in her safe, and said we'd go over to the courthouse and transfer the deed. I just never got over there to do it. I was busy working on the house. A couple times I was going to, but something else came up."

It has now been ONE MONTH since we bought the $5000 house. Hick and HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) have made quite a bit of progress on it. I'd say they could probably get $10,000 out of it, easy, in its current state. Not that they have any plans to sell it. Not that they could. Since there's nothing to show they own it.

This Guy had back surgery last week. It had been scheduled for a little while, even before he and Hick went off to get that free door from This Guy's brother. Hick is a good friend of This Guy, and told This Guy's Wife to let him know how the surgery went. By the end of the week, Hick was getting worried.

"I've sent several texts to This Guy's Wife, to check on how he's doing. She don't answer. I tried to call, but it just went to voice mail. I guess maybe she might not have service in the hospital. Or maybe she doesn't have a charger with her. I know they were gonna keep This Guy for a few days, but you'd think I woulda heard something by now. I hope nothing went wrong."

Saturday, Hick finally got a call from This Guy's Wife. "I've got myself in a terrible mess! I'm in the hospital. I fell and broke my hip, and I'm having surgery on Monday. This Guy is still in the hospital, and he doesn't have any way to get home. Our new truck is parked at the hospital. Even if he can get home, there's nobody there to take care of him, because I'm having hip surgery! I guess we'll both have to go into rehab!"

Ain't that a fine kettle of fish?

"The thing is, This Guy's Wife is in the hospital up in the city, and This Guy is in the hospital down in Gambling Town. They don't have a way to get their truck home. This Guy can't be at her hospital for her surgery."

The other thing is, if anything untoward happens to This Guy's Wife, who's to know that Hick owns the $5000 house? Legally.

"Man! That's terrible! And you don't want her die, because then you can't prove it's your house, since her name is the only one on the deed."

"Well, I don't want her to die because I don't want her to die!"

"I KNOW THAT! I was just saying... this could be a problem."

"Yeah. It would have to go through probate, probably. That can take years."

Of course we don't want anything to happen to This Guy's Wife, or This Guy. Hick drove down to visit This Guy on Sunday.

"He looked like death warmed over. They got him up to walk down the hall with a walker. He actually seemed like he was getting around pretty good. He said they have to change his medicine, because it makes him hallucinate. Said he just woke up seeing rabbits on the ceiling. 'I was ready to go rabbit-huntin'! They was BIG rabbits!'"

The hospital is making arrangements to get This Guy transferred to a local hospital for rehab. For his back, not the drugs! Hick is going to get This Guy's truck keys from This Guy's Son, who picked them up from his mom in the other hospital. Then Hick and The Veteran (Hick's Second Oldest Son) are going to drive down to the hospital in Gambling Town and bring back This Guy's truck.

I guess Hick will find time to work on his (alleged) $5000 house later in the week.

12 comments:

  1. She put the money in her safe? Paid in cash, not a check? You clearly do not live in Jersey.

    Your blog posts might be the only evidence to use in a case to determine your claim.

    Judge Judy would have a field day with this. She might not be very nice to Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pretty trusting here in the middle of nowhere. Especially if it's someone you know. Even so, I kept nagging Hick to get that legal business settled, and he kept putting it off. NOW look what's happened!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure everything will turn out okay. Hick's original deadline for having done what he wants with this house is June 1, but I think he moved it to June 3 or whatever the Monday of that week is. There's still time!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. When Hick CASUALLY mentioned his predicament to This Guy's Son while picking up the truck keys, This Guy's Son assured Hick that the family knows about the transaction, and that he could get the title for Hick. We'll see what develops.

      This Guy's Son also gave Hick a pair of double-doors! Can't beat that with a stick! Unless maybe he'd have given Hick the title.

      Delete
  4. Heh Heh, pickled Hick :)
    But I agree with you, that deed transfer needs to happen ASAP. Otherwise if Hick sells the renovated house, all money goes to the registered owner, who currently ISN'T Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Hick is realizing that I WAS RIGHT all this time about nagging him on the deed.

      Delete
  5. Hick needs to get to a lawyer and head to one of the hospitals to sign a quit claim deed and get a bill of sale. That is terrible that both are hospitalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! You think just like Hick! He mentioned the quit claim deed plan.

      Delete
  6. Oh my what a mess, but it will work out although when the woman gets into rehab have hick take her to the courthouse and get this done asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Guy's Son said he would take the deed and get the needed signature. This Guy's Wife is facing a 3-month recovery period before she can get around on that hip. I'd say Hick might give it a week and then start with a gentle reminder.

      Delete