Friday, July 6, 2018

20 Is the New 50

Miles per hour speed limit, we hope.

There's a lady out here who drives REALLY FAST. I'd say at least 50 mph, on the gravel roads. She kicks up a big cloud of dust, and you don't want to run into her. Literally, OR figuratively. She's a lawyer's wife, so probably thinks he can get her out of any accident she causes. I don't even know her. Just her car. But I know to get out of the way of it. And that it looks pretty much like a newer version of T-Hoe. I don't wanna be gettin' any unnecessary hate, just because people might mistake my car for hers.

The other day, Hick and the neighbors were on their Facebook page, discussing either the power outage or the flooded road or a new trash service that some are switching to or the general state of our gravel roads. One person ventured to say, "SOME people need to slow down!" And quite a few others, including Hick, agreed.

Of course Speedy Momzales was on there, too. "Are you talking about ME?"

And they all said, "YES!"

To which Speedy Momzales replied, "I didn't see any speed limit signs."

The neighbors don't really have an ax to grind with her. They like her well enough. But the speeding is out of hand. I think they're ready to form a mob and march over to her house with flaming torches and pitchforks. Supplied (for a nominal, yet profitable, fee) by Hick.

Hick talked to the ex-mayor my sister's husband about getting a speed limit sign. He's got pull like that, you know, as an ex-mayor. He talked to the guy who's in charge of the street department. I guess they had some used signs laying around, because a couple days later, Ex-Mayor found one propped up against his garage. Hick went to pick it up, and put it on the hill leading up our branch of the road.


I think it would better have been placed farther along, because this location is a few yards off the lumpy blacktop that Hick and Buddy used to pave the hill, and nobody, not even Speedy Momzales, goes over 10 mph there, because they would rip the bottom out of their vehicles.

Anyhoo...Hick was out in the BARn field the other day, and Speedy Momzales stopped (which I imagine involved a spray of gravel) and asked, "Did you put that sign up for ME?"

"YES!" Hick is more optimistic than I. It's not like anybody is going to enforce that sign. A message has clearly been sent (over and over) from the other residents to Speedy Momzales. I don't think she's the type to be shamed into acceptable behavior.

ALTERNATE TITLE: Speed Limit Sighs
_______________________________________________________________________

Funny thing about why this post was so late. Funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha.

I have been typing them up the day before. Usually later in the evening. I set them to publish automatically the next day, by clicking the date on the little calendar, and changing the hour, usually making it in the afternoon.

Well. This one slipped by me. I'd already set the date, but forgot about the time, and as I was hitting PUBLISH to make it schedule itself for the next day (always handy when the power has been going off due to thunderstorms), I saw that the time it was set to publish was 11:11 p.m.

That's too late. But I was already off to work on my supersecret blog, and didn't want to log back in. I made a mental note to change it the next morning. Of course I forgot my mental note, in a hurry to mail my boys' weekly letters before the mail went out.

Sooo...I didn't even see it hadn't published until after 9:00 p.m. tonight, when I started the post for Saturday. WHOOPSIE, I said to myself, after hours of semi-cursing people who couldn't even be bothered to read my blog on a Friday night and leave a comment wondering why nobody was leaving a comment. I changed it to post automatically, and hit publish. 

An hour later, after getting that Saturday post all ready, I looked at my page of posts, only to see that along with the new one, this SAME post was STILL SCHEDULED for 11:11 p.m. Well, that wasn't even an hour off by now, but I wanted to get this jewel out there on the innernets. So I again changed it to publish automatically, and hit PUBLISH, only to see that schedule change back to the 11:11 p.m.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN? I changed it AGAIN to AUTOMATIC. Looked at it sternly after I hit the DONE button. And it stayed. And then published went I hit PUBLISH.

Something fishy is going on here.
________________________________________________________________________________________

11 comments:

  1. Why were you in such a hurry to mail off packages to your sons? Doesn't it take several months for them to get their mail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to hurry in order to get them the mail WITHIN several months!

      I always mail at the main post office on Fridays, before the 11:30 deadline. Genius in Kansas City gets his letter on Tuesday, and sometimes even Monday.

      The Pony did not get his letter at all last week. Neither of the two I mailed, one on Friday, June 22, and one carrying his new insurance card on Monday, June 25. In fact, he finally received BOTH on Tuesday, JULY 3.

      I don't feel like I got my 50-cents-worth for the postage on each of those envelopes...

      Delete
  2. Scheduling can be tricky. I usually set mine to publish at 1am on the day I want it to, but sometimes after I select the time it changes itself when I'm selecting the date, so one post went up at 2:10pm one day instead of 1am. Now I check the date and time before I click "done" and publish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always careful to note the a.m. and p.m. settings, since sometimes I get done in the wee hours of the morning. But I never figured the whole thing would jump back to the previous time when I tried to put it out there immediately.

      Delete
  3. Do do do do do do do do.

    I read this post on 7-7 OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead. Cut eyes at each other across the continent. But remember, I'M RIGHT HERE in between you both.

      Mock away! You might as well do that finger-twirly thing at the side of your head while you're at it. I had a 36-hour spate of odd coincidences, and that was just one of them. Don't make me tell you the rest...

      Delete
  4. oh please miss, tell us the rest. We like weird stuff and we promise to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest is coming! Joe and Fishducky will just have to bite the figurative bullet, hold their collective noses, and slog through it without even a virtual spoonful of sugar to make it more palatable.

      Delete
  5. Face it, you have a ghost. Haint kidding you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something fishy is going on, and it ain't ducky.

      Delete