Sunday, July 15, 2018

Hick Lacks Attention to Detail

Hick spent part of last week visiting an old friend. Pal happens to be a retired teacher, who is also a wood carver. It's not like he's churning out Pinocchios every other day. He can carve on a large scale. Here's one of his works that Hick took a picture of on his travels.


Unfortunately, Hick lacks attention to detail. He said he was "in a museum near Moline, Illinois." Didn't say if he WAS in Illinois. Or the name of the museum. He says there's a name for this piece somewhere, but he doesn't remember it.

The most information I have from Hick is that this structure is 19 feet tall. He doesn't know what kind of wood. Parts of the carving are different colors, depending on whether they were carved outside, in the sun, or indoors. Hick also has pictures of the other side, but he has not bothered to send them to me.

If you can, zoom into this photo and look at the assorted figures. I missed the horse, for cryin' out loud, the first several times I looked at it.

Hick says they went inside the museum, and Pal asked the lady in charge something. She looked at him quizzically, and started to mention something about the hours they were open. Then Pal asked if he could step into the exhibit to do something to it. "I'm the artist who carved it." And the lady said, "OH! I knew you looked familiar, but I couldn't place you."

As some of you have ascertained...Hick has connections in many different fields.
_________________________________________________________________________

I think this might be him. Looks like it's a ginkgo tree, according to this article about moving it to the Hampton Heritage Center. Which is, I suppose, the "museum" that Hick mentioned. And I'm pretty sure this is the staircase carving that Hick told me about. That staircase site made me answer a survey question to see the content. Just sayin'.

8 comments:

  1. Thom is quite an artist. Thanks for the links. If Hick had his friend carve him something, what do you think he'd ask for?

    How many more days until Hick's back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't presume to know Hick's tastes in carvings. And for that, I am thankful. Considering some of the things he's brought home.

      Hick has been back since FRIDAY!!! I'm surprised you couldn't tell the difference by my writing over the last couple days. Like an LSD spider's web...

      Delete
  2. That is whittling on steroids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain't a-woofin'! That tree is amazing. It's not like he could sit on the porch in a rocking chair. He had to climb around to get to it.

      Hick said the staircase took him two years, working summers and weekends while he was still teaching.

      Delete
  3. That's a fabulous carving, so much better than chopping a tee for firewood. I skipped the survey so didn't get to see the staircase carving, but I can google the artist later and maybe see it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to that article, when they moved the tree into the center for display, he said he wanted the bird on top facing the river. Artists have a vision!

      Delete
  4. Those carvings are FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete