Saturday, December 30, 2017

Weirdos and Walmart Checkers Conspire to Make Our Val Bummed

So...last Sunday, after I was done bashing the heavily-sighing, "gotta dig for it" postal clerk at the dead-mouse-smelling post office for giving attitude when I dared to take my orange postcard to pick up a package...I alluded to having a problem at Walmart the same day.

Oh. I had problems all right.

I wanted to get something Christmasy and colorful for dessert after Christmas dinner. Something I didn't have to make. Something I only had to put in my cart and pay for. Easy peasy. I chose some mini cupcakes with festive red and green frosting. Not only did I choose those festive mini cupcakes...I spent about five minutes picking up packages and turning them around and making sure I got the very best festive cupcakes available. The ones with unskewed icing. Pleasing to the eye. Pretty AND tasty.

You know how it goes at Walmart. The checker scans your stuff and puts it in bags on that turntable lazy Susan bag holder thingy. And you take the bags off the hooks as she spins it around, and place them in your cart. The checker handed me the rolls as she bagged them. So I could put them in the child-seat part of the cart and not smash them. Sometimes they hand you that fragile stuff, sometimes they set it up on top of that turntable lazy Susan bag holder thingy so you notice it and take care of it.

Checker announced my total. As I was wrestling with that dang chip-reader that flops down when you touch it, Checker took my last bag, the one containing my festive mini cupcakes, and walked around the turntable lazy Susan bag holder thingy to put them in my cart. Which she did by slinging the bag in sideways like it held clothing or towels.

SHE RUINED MY FESTIVE MINI CUPCAKES!


Okay. So she really only ruined four of them. Smashed a red and a green, messing up the frosting, and turning over two greens so that their frosting became skewed. I was in no mood to call her out, because I was IN A MOOD! A mood that started when I had to wait in line for quite a while, with a weirdo behind me.

This weirdo didn't know me. I didn't know him. He became overly familiar by walking past my cart (tight squeeze) to get to the man ahead of me, who must have worked with him once upon a time. After they exchanged pleasantries, Weirdo got back in line behind me, leaving the worker guy to pay for his stuff. I was putting things out of the lower section of my cart. Putting the cold things together, saving the fragile things for last. Here's where Weirdo gets weirder.

"Want me to put something out for you?"

"No."

"You're good?"

"Yes."

I find his over-familiarity a bit off-putting. If not downright creepy. Who does that? Offers to take things out of a stranger's cart? I didn't want him touching my goodies!

As always, I tried not to engage. You can't show kindness to a weirdo, or you're stuck with him. This was a bald Uncle-Fester-looking guy. He kept trying to make small talk, which I ignored. I'd acknowledged him. Now it was time for him to shut the eff up. I had the things out of the bottom, and got back behind my cart to push it forward, putting the fragile things (like my festive mini cupcakes) on the conveyor. I had put the divider out as soon as all my stuff was on.

Uncle Weirdo Fester kept crowding closer. You know how it is. You can hardly reach back to the chip-reader floppy thing to pay, because a weirdo is all up in your space. I almost threw an elbow to back him off, but at the last minute he took a step back, and made an obvious show of looking anywhere but the floppy keypad where I was typing in my PIN. I got my receipt and took off.

When I got home and unpacked my bags, I found an item I didn't buy. Oh, I PAID for it, all right. But I didn't buy it.


WHO buys that? At Christmas? It costs $2.27 a roll, by cracky! I already had plenty of tape. It's even Scotch tape. But it comes in a three-pack and is more economical than ONE roll of Magic Tape in the hard dispenser. At first I thought, "Bonus! Free tape!" But then I looked at my receipt, and saw that I'd been charged for it.

The only consolation is thinking about Uncle Weirdo Fester getting home, ready to wrap his package (heh, heh, I said package), and not having any tape.

That inadvertent revenge only cost me $2.27. Plus tax.


20 comments:

  1. Uncle Fester wanted YOU to touch HIS goodies.

    Ha.

    Ha.

    Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weirdo Fester is probably writing on his blog right now about how the nice lady he thought he had befriended at Wally World turned out to be a Scotch Tape Thief, not knowing that you actually paid for the tape and that Wally World is actually the thief for charging you 2.27 a roll for something you didn't even buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the supermarket, it is full of nasty, selfish, no manners weirdo's, I almost always leave angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should start a private supermarket for non-weirdos! And WE are the judges of weirdoness.

      Delete
  4. I would have ignored the keypad thingy and lunged to grab those cupcakes before they landed and told the girl to please be careful and keep them flat. I honestly don't understand how checkers do not understand the need to keep decorated cakes flat, and right way up of course.
    The weirdo should have got an "accidental" elbow to the ribs, or perhaps his chin if he is short enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think those checkers know exactly what they are doing!

      I'm pretty sure there's a law against elbowing weirdos. Even in Missouri.

      Delete
  5. I'm all for the ribbing. Nobody better touch my food or fresh laundry. Celebrate! Happy new Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are good at teaching lessons! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  6. Sweet revenge. If I shopped with you I could share in these interesting adventures. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you shopped with me, one of us might get arrested. Probably ME, because I think you are faster in a footrace.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. I hate it when weirdos touch my goodies; oh, never mind, that was Bud!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking Bud might be able to pass as a weirdo. What with that picture of him laying across the bed...if he went to the store in that "suit," he might keep me and Stephen from being arrested on our shopping spree.

      Delete
  8. Way back in the day, LONG ago, right after I graduated from nursing school ..... There was an affluent doctor, known to be the best orthopedic surgeon in the region, who fancied himself to be a ladies' man. He would flirt shamelessly with all the nurses and was known to be grabby. He was working in the ER one day, along with me and decided he would like to grab my goodies by reaching around my back and under my arm to fondle me. I suppose I could sue him now and have him disgraced. He is probably dead, I was only 21 and he was a dirty old man at the time. Unfortunately for him, he was recovering from some broken ribs when he decided to try out touching my goodies. Without so much as a second thought, my elbow made abrupt contact with his ribs and he went to the floor in pain. I apologized profusely with the sweetest smile on my lips. He never touched me again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You used a good method to make your point!

      Delete
  9. My previous comment doesn't have anything to do with the Scotch tape! Take it back and get your money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept it, because it took less effort than taking it back. I'm lazy like that.

      Delete
  10. Weirdo Fester... ha, you're funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The folks pulled in by my weirdo magnet are much funnier, and I don't even think THEY'RE trying!

      Delete