Sunday, December 3, 2017

It Has Come To My Attention

"It has come to my attention..." That's what the principal used to announce over the intercom at my first teaching job, right before he revealed some horrendous problem that was perpetrated by us, the faculty, and needed rectifying ASAP by us, the faculty.

I kind of feel like that now. It's obvious that VAL IS NOT MEANT TO WAIT IN LINE.

No matter what I do, something goes awry in The Universe when I'm in line. From people slamming boxes of donuts down on the counter, cutting in front of me, cutting behind me making the rest of the line mad because they think we're in cahoots, asking for my cheesecake, asking for whiskey money at 11:00 a.m., pressing up against me so that my buttocks are violated, ramming me with a Walmart cart, rushing from the end of the line when a clerk opens a new register and asks, "Who's next?" I never seem to have a good line-waiting experience.

I would settle for neutral.

No special treatment necessary. You don't have to move out of my way to finish filling out your paperwork. I'll wait. I'll stand at a respectable distance, patiently, making no sound, drawing no attention to myself. All I expect in return is for people to hold their own position, not talk to me, not touch me, and not direct their misplaced anger at me. So simple. But it is not to be.

Friday, I was standing in line at the Casey's where I get gas for T-Hoe. I was buying scratchers, so I'd have two to tuck into Genius's weekly letter. I knew which tickets I wanted. I was ready to ask for them by number. I had the correct change in my hand. I got in line parallel to the counter. That's how the line works in this Casey's. The current customer is by the register, and the line flows along past the lottery ticket case, the unused register, the donut case, to the cooler and pizza ordering counter. A place for everyone, and everyone in their place, leaving a walkway from the door across the store for folks to enter and obtain their future purchases.

Only one man was ahead of me. An old guy I see in there often, who always buys one of the same tickets I like, a $5 Money Multiplier. He bought two tickets, and the short mannish woman who is SO FRIENDLY joked with him about it being $50. He looked at me and said she was trying to put one over on him, and I said I thought she was giving him the discount rate. Her banter did not slow down the transaction, and soon I was right there handing over my own money for my tickets. She told me good luck, I thanked her, and turned 90 degrees to walk out the door.

WHOA!

I came mere millimeters from having my right eye gouged out by the corner of a pizza box!

Some weirdo was standing just off my right shoulder, holding a pizza box aloft at my eye height. What in the Not-Heaven? I am 5'8", people! My eye is fairly high off the floor. Who carries a pizza box that high? I, personally, would hold it between my boobs and my waist. Which, thanks to the Playtex 18-hour sweatshop workers, are not in the same place. Who carries a freakin' pizza box at Val's eye height?

You know how you have that 7th sense? Like how you can blink right before a bug flies into the window to your soul? Or how, when you're sick and need eye drops, you happen to blink just before that drop lands on your eyeball? I had that instinct, and jerked my head to the left and avoided having my eyeball hanging down my cheek like something pictured on Beaver Cleaver's forbidden sweatshirt.

"OH!" said the weirdo wielding that weapon of eyelash destruction. And pulled the box back a bit as I feinted. "I'm sorry!" You bet your rumpus you're sorry, lady! Who does that? Who stands on the RIGHT side, the door side, of the customer being waited on? When there are three people already lined up on the left, waiting their turn? And who holds a pizza box that high, so close, like a tween licking his hand and holding it next to his friends face, and calling his name so he turns around and gets a saliva facial?

"Whoa! That was close!" I kept on going, didn't engage, got the Not-Heaven out of there while I still had both my peepers. Jeepers, creepers! I didn't need a pity party, and my adrenalin was pumping. 

I suppose that high-pizza gal was with somebody else who was paying, and had picked up the pizza and was reluctant to leave the store until it was paid for, but didn't want to clog up the line or block access to treats. Maybe I should have some signs printed, and give them out for free.

IF YOU'RE WAITING TO PAY, GET IN THE FREAKIN' LINE.

IF YOU'RE WAITING ON SOMEONE ELSE, STAND IN AN AISLE, OR BY THE DOOR.

Seriously. Who does Val have to mock around here to have a normal line-waiting experience?

16 comments:

  1. It's a great line-wing conspiracy I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And my back-creek neighbor Bev would, too. Just on general conspiracy principles.

      Delete
  2. Eye am so glad your I was not injured.

    You have time on your hands. Perhaps you could be a traveling consultant, and could lead workshops at grocery stores, gas stations and department stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, thank you for your empathy. Yes, I could start a line-waiting safety tour. As a paid speaker, of course. And written into my contract would be a clause that I can keep any pennies that I find.

      Delete
  3. I can't figure out why all this bad stuff happens to you; do you suppose it's Even Steven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HOPE it's Even Steven, evening out all the good things that happen to me. Because I would hate to think that I'm putting out such bad karma that this is what's coming back to me!

      Delete
  4. Trust me, signs will not help. People have to actually read them and there is a huge element in society who find themselves immune to niceties and rules of common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're not giving that huge element directions to the greater Backroads area!

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with Kathy about society today, but who holds a pizza box at that level, was this person like 7 ft tall? I don't know what people are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! She was probably about 5'6". Shorter than me! From what I could tell out of the corner of my nearly-ripped-out eye. Maybe she was smelling the aroma. Casey's DOES have good pizza!

      Delete
  6. Was she holding the box above her head? because that's just weird. and yes, get in line or step out of the way. WAY out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what was going on with lofting that pizza to such a height. Looking on the bottom of the box, maybe? For WHAT, I don't know.

      Delete
    2. Grease seepage to be sure it doesn't mark her car seat. That makes sense now.

      Delete
    3. Oh, yeah! To check for grease.

      Delete
  7. You have far more interesting experiences waiting in line than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do much throughout the day. The waiting is the hardest part. Tom Petty got THAT right!

      Delete