Monday, December 4, 2017

Full Moon, Strange Things

Okay, maybe what Hick did isn't the strangest thing he's ever done. I think tucking the banana peel down in the cushions of his La-Z-Boy might top that list. Or losing half a donut under his chair in the hospital recovery room while waiting for The Pony to come back from elbow surgery when he was a young 'un. But this time his auction purchase may have gotten out of hand.

He sent me the picture before he brought her home.


There she stands, regally, beside a tackle box that Hick also bought. There is a lag in our email out here in the hinterlands. Hick sent that email at the end of the auction, after I had closed out that particular email account, and my phone didn't pick it up until Sunday morning. By then, I had already been astonished to see her in person. By our kitchen table.


Don't get me wrong. She's a beautiful piece. And I hope I am not being offensive in calling a lady a piece. Even a wooden one. She's carved, you know, from one piece of wood. She's a beauty, and belongs where she can be displayed and appreciated. Oh, Hick appreciates her. He plans to stick her in The Pony's Sword Shack. He has quite the eclectic collection in there. From a metal suit of armor to a crest of arms to a Roman battle helmet to Japanese swords to a shield with a big red cross to those scary wooden masks. I suppose it's becoming more of a history museum than a Sword Shack.

Hick calls her his African laundry lady. Right now she's cooling her bare heels standing sentinel over the strawberry water. I feel sad that she will be shut away in a Sword Shack, but we are not artsy people with pieces on display under tasteful lighting. Hick paid $15 for her, which I think is as good a bargain as that bordello mirror. Too bad he doesn't have a Cigar Store Indian to keep her company. I guess that hollow knight will have to do.

Oh, and here's the Super Moon rising over the garage Sunday night.


I tried to get a closer view, but it did not turn out as I planned.


LOOK! I've discovered a new planet! Or captured a UFO on its way to our back-creek neighbor Bev's house, perhaps to anally probe her!

Full moon. Odd occurrences. At least I was not subjected to a HUMAN full moon.

9 comments:

  1. That piece would clearly be worth a lot more than $15 to someone. Not to me, but to someone for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had a shiny white ceramic cherub about waist high, standing in her living room with fake fruit in a birdbath-looking thingy on his head. I don't know what happened to that little guy. I don't recall fighting with my sister the ex-mayor's wife over his custody.

      I wonder if Hick has him out in the Sword Shack...

      Delete
  2. She's a lovely piece, nicely polished. Which reminds me I really should get my carved woman out from under that potplant on the front porch and give her a coat of something before she dries out too much and falls apart. I can get a concrete pedestal for the potplant and move her inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that other kind of moon would have been the kind CCR sang about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would have INDEED been a bad moon a-risin'.

      Delete
  4. I have no words for the new addition to your family. Laundry lady, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should ask HeWho. I'm pretty sure he has one just like it out in his shed...

      Delete
  5. What is Hick planning on doing with all these finds? Open a resale shop? Or is he collecting only for personal satisfaction?

    ReplyDelete