Friday, June 3, 2016

Progress in Canine Relations

News flash!

This evening, sweet, sweet Juno played with Puppy Jack! I know! We were shocked, too!

Juno had been sitting on my Croc-ed feet on the porch while I held fat, fat Puppy Jack. He had been eating out of Juno's dry food from her pan on the back porch, because Hick came home and let him out and did not puppy-proof the porch. The Pony and I were gone all afternoon, so had put Jack up for safekeeping. A neighbor dog got another chicken last night or this morning, and it was laying by the road. Can't be too careful with helpless Puppy Jack.

Jack decided he was not so helpless today. This morning I heard him yapping on the back porch, and looked out to see him standing in front of Juno's house, barking at her. She looked like she wanted to make a run for it, but didn't come out.

This evening, Jack tried nipping at Juno's nose while I held him on my knee on the front porch. Uh huh. He can be all big and bad while he's at eye level with her. She kind of ignored him, leaning on me for petting. Then she went out to the yard when Hick pulled up on the Gator.

I put Jack down, and he started nipping at the cat. The one I dislike most, Simba, that got in the fight and almost lost an eye. Let the record show that Simba WAS taunting Jack, swishing his tail over in front of Jack's face. But Jack was a little imp himself, and took to nipping at Simba's face. Which did. Not. Go. Well. Simba hissed and showed his feline fangs and took a swipe at Puppy Jack, who took two claw-rakings and retreated behind my feet, whimpering. In fact, he needed to be picked up, and did not even climb up around my shoulders like a canine stole, but instead lay quietly upon my chest, nestling his puppy head up under my chin.

Soon enough, Jack was ready to go again. I put him down and he went down the steps and almost tangled with a rooster. That bird STARED HIM DOWN until Jack ducked his head and went under the fence instead of past the rooster to the yard. Then he saw Juno laying in the grass ignoring the five rabbits that were boldly bouncing across the yard, and ran at her like a kamikaze.

Juno jumped up, faced him, and stretched out her forelegs! She feinted. She pranced. She lured Jack into chasing her. Which he did, as fast as his short legs and bloated belly would allow, until Juno turned to chase HIM, and then he ran for the safety of the porch.

That pup needs to learn how to take it, or quit dishing it out.

Juno, however, seems to accept his rightful place now. Though she DID grab his boneless fur skunk and try to walk down the steps with it until Hick called her on it.


I might have created an addict when I gave Jack that stem off the corncob the other day. He has been stealing from the chickens.

10 comments:

  1. Puppy Jack can do no wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...he CAN, but we look the other way.

      Delete
  2. Baby Jack is going to steal all hearts. He's already stolen mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have an animal charisma about him.

      Delete
  3. Look at that sweet little face!! He will find his own way with Juno. She secretly enjoys playing with him, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning on the front porch, he took her bone. The sun-bleached white fragment that has been there for months. As he tossed and pounced on it, Juno stood up on alert. But all she did was perk her ears and watch. Nary a growl, even without me there to supervise.

      Yes, she secretly likes playing with him. She doesn't quite know how. He's so tiny, she can't bite his legs out from under him and wrestle.

      Delete
  4. He'd better watch it with Simba. Cats are not to be inflicted upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are loaded with sharpened weapons!

      Delete
  5. You're getting considerable mileage out of that puppy. Pure entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not ready to trade him in yet! Now that I'm RETIRED, I have nothing interesting from work. Not as much travel. So it's Puppy Jack, Hick, The Pony, and Diet Coke.

      Delete