Saturday, June 18, 2016

Not Even MACHINES Do Their Jobs Right These Days

Pardon me for being irreverent. But an issue has come to the forefront, and I can't help being reminded of my mother.

I might have mentioned that I stop by the cemetery at least once a week. How Mom made it so easy, what with planning my dad's interment, and the double plot, to be conveniently located between my homestead and Walmart. AND in a row right beside an internal road, so I don't even have to get out. I stopped by yesterday on my way to the bank, and was relieved to see that the ground was undisturbed.

Yes, every day I think about Mom. Something happens that I want to share with her, or run by her, or simply commiserate about with her. And Wednesday, I encountered an issue that would be sure to set Mom turning.


See that? THAT is what is passed off as slaw mix these days! By DOLE. Not even by a store brand. Name brand slaw mix cannot even come in a bag with proper slaw-size pieces! I don't buy a bag of slaw mix so I can mount a search for a Salad Shooter and pare it down to the proper dimensions! I am buying a bag of slaw mix for convenience! I am not buying salad. And I am not buying expensive extra work for myself. If I wanted to chop up my own slaw mix, I would buy a head of cabbage and some carrots and...um...whatever else goes into slaw. But not that purple stuff. I hate it.

So look what we have here. Some extra-thick slabs from near the cabbage core. And some parts of cabbage leaves that could be stuffed to make cabbage rolls. At the 3:00 area of the plate, notice the proper size for strands of slaw mix. They should not be too thick, too leafy, or too long. Goldilocks needs to write a review of this slaw mix.

I use this to make my before-mentioned BBQ slaw. Dump some in a bowl, pour on a little BBQ sauce, and you're in business! A tasty, tangy side dish for chicken or pork or as a hamburger topping. Can you imagine a serving of slaw made of these gargantuan segments? I cannot. Unless, perhaps, it would be in a Hungry Man frozen TV dinner. And slaw doesn't freeze well.

I know Mom would have my back on this one.


8 comments:

  1. I'm sure the slaw your mother is currently enjoying is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would bet my scratch-off winnings on it!

      Delete
  2. At least the cabbage wasn't rusty. Barbecue slaw???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE when the cabbage is rusty! BBQ slaw is a taste treat that you are denying yourself. Just buy a bag of slaw already and put a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce on an individual bowl of it. Give a little stir so that sauce can run down in between the particles. Let it sit 5 or 10 minutes. VOILA! BBQ slaw!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am eagerly awaiting your first book of poetry.

      Delete
  4. BBQ slaw, never had it. HeWho is a lover of condiments. He slathers all his food with a sauce. His favorite sauce is BBQ. Since I did absolutely nothing to honor his status as a father on this special day ( ain't my Daddy, after all), I shall prepare a special meal for him tomorrow and include your very special slaw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope HeWho enjoyed his very special slaw!

      Delete