Thursday, January 28, 2016

Let the Shutterbug Bask in the Glow of a Job Poorly Done

Courtesy of Hick, you now know that The Pony is a boy outstanding in his field. Well, outstanding in the field of somebody in Oklahoma.

Same pose as yesterday. You might notice that The Pony has doffed his cap of bow-and-arrowed warrior, only to don one of a big white house.

Yes, The Pony and Hick were in Norman early this week to check out the University. The Pony has a recruiter, you know, who recruits National Merit Scholars. The visit was tailored to his interests, chock full of meetings scheduled with upper echelon educators in three fields of his choosing. He also had a grand tour with a group, plus a luncheon with top dogs. He could have stayed in the dorms with students had he so desired, which he did not. Shocker. Really. That he didn't want to be with HIS PEOPLE. The University, or whatever entity they classified it as to be legal, paid for a night at the Marriott, and discounted the second night. Hick had a grand time in the pool and hot tub, while The Pony preferred to remain in the room and return his spine to its normal horizontal position.

It's probably a good thing The Pony doesn't really care about people, as in WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF HIM. Because Genius might have been mortified to have Hick tagging along asking questions and just generally being Hick. I'm pretty sure that even in Oklahoma, Hick could manage to stand out as a hillbilly.

According to Hick, the professors were quite informative, offering sound advice for education and job prospects. Like which areas to go into, and what kind of jobs might be available with various degree levels. "They was just like regular people, and really seemed interested in talking to us. Except that one guy, that PhD. He was not as friendly, and acted like it was part of his job to talk to The Pony."

Okay. Technically, it WAS part of his job to talk to the prospective students they recruit. Last year, 200 National Merit Scholars enrolled at OU. Perhaps this year, The Pony was #199 that the PhD guy talked to. So maybe Hick should give him a break. I am not as enthusiastic presenting the same lesson by the fourth time I go through it each day. I can't imagine giving the same talk over a hundred times.

I'm not a snob or anything, but it's probably a good thing that no part of the tour offered delectable squares of soft candy for Hick to nosh on like one he found at the Playboy Club during his younger days. You can read about it here if you understand that most names have been disguised to protect the innocent. And Hick.

11 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a 2nd blog--I'm now a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...just between you and me...it's supersecret, and not nearly as refined as this one!

      Delete
  2. I love The Pony's expression, like the world is his oyster and the sky's the limit when it comes to his future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of like he's posing for his eventual portrait called "The Pony Crossing the Threshold to Maturity."

      Delete
  3. I don't recall being recruited to college. I remember a bunch of people tell me, "Go ahead, we can't stop you from applying."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a rousing endorsement! You might as well apply to run for President...

      Delete
  4. Well, at least The Pony didn't assume that President Obama and his wife summer at the university...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY genius, when the cute little coed/tour guide told him that "The President and his wife live in that house" (as she pointed to a lovely stone house on campus) thought that George W. Bush summered at the tiny college in Iowa... I shut him up and shut him down real quick.

      Delete
    2. I know I left a reply here! Blogger must be in cahoots with my ex-BFF Google lately. About one out of four of my replies goes into the atmosphere, and must be tried two or three times before it shows up. I've taken to copying them before I hit PUBLISH, just in case. I guess I missed this one.

      I suppose YOUR genius would not have known what to do with the free t-shirt The Pony received in his swag bag...

      Delete
  5. Yeah, that's kind of my college experience too, joeh. But I've read so much about Pony I kind of feel like a proud father. Well, not like Hick. I mean . . not really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes Val Thevictorian's blogroll to raise a Pony. You can send him $6 a week for Chinese food.

      Delete