Thursday, September 24, 2015

40 Gals, 1 Pot

Today begins the first in a series of JURY DUTY posts by Val Thevictorian!

I know. You're salivating. Chomping at the bit. Pounding the bottom of a ketchup bottle as Antici--paa--aaa---tion plays in the background. Calm down. We must start slowly. You're not even warmed up yet.

Let the record show that Val arrived at the county courthouse at 8:10 a.m. That's inside. In line to get her badge. We were supposed to be there by 8:30. Overachiever that she is, Val dropped off The Pony a few minutes early at school, then turned T-Hoe in the direction of bill-paying town and the courthouse. To get a good parking space, you know.

There are several one-way streets around the courthouse. Two, to be exact. So I made a big square U to see where I should stable my trusty T-Hoe while I was doing my civic duty. WHAT? The whole side of the courthouse was empty of automobiles! It had to be a trick. Usually, there are cones and signs marking those spaces for judges or officials of some kind. So I thought it was a trick, and went on by, and turned left.

The next street had all spaces clear on my right, beside the bank. Having just watched Parking Wars before leaving the house, I looked for signs about non-bank customers being towed. None. It looked as if those spaces were up for grabs. But I continued. Must be a trick.

Another left, and that one-way street had parking all along the side of the courthouse as well. Hm. By the time it registered that I could just park there, I was past that block. Okay. So I would just park past the liquor store like I did years ago when I had the jury duty. Even though now there is a big annex across the street with a big parking lot. I was fine. Way up at the end of the block.

I walked down that block, past the liquor store, which was disturbingly open at 8:00 a.m., across the street, and up the courthouse steps. Oh. No I didn't. They were roped off with a plastic chain. So I backtracked to the other set of steps, and took the handicap ramp. Four times as far, but no strain on the knees.

Inside, I got in line for my badge. I WAS NUMBER...wait. I shouldn't really give away identifying facts. Lets just say there were seventy people ahead of me. Let the record show that the one and only time I got picked to sit in on a case I was number eighty-four. So I wasn't thrilled. Even though I should have been.

I asked if there were bathrooms on the 3rd floor. The lady motioned with her head a simultaneous NO and a direction where the ladies room was located. I made sure to go before I went upstairs. As luck or stupidity would have it, I could not find the elevator. Even though I remembered taking it the last time. So I had to trudge up a double flight of stairs to get to the 2nd floor. But THERE WAS THE ELEVATOR. Hello, old friend. Let's go for a ride.

Once in the courtroom, a bailiff told me to sit on the front row. THE FRONT ROW! More on that another time. Speaking of time, at 8:29, my school crony showed up. And she had a number highter than mine! Even though they were randomly assigned and laid out when we arrived. Time ticked away. The bailiff kept announcing that if we needed to use the restroom, we should do it NOW. Because once we started, it could be hours before we could get up.

I swear that room full of old ladies is not responsible for keeping those overactive bladder drug companies in business. We didn't start until 9:50, and some of them had gone THREE times by then. Which was difficult, since the only women's room in that old courthouse was back in chambers, at the end of the hall, and was a one-seater. That's what the bailiff called it. When he got all excited and ran back there and told the waiters to wait in the courtroom, in a line, and not in the chamber hall.

I don't know what you call the toilet in your house. We could never say the word toilet in mine. My mom always called it "The Stool." Some might call it the throne, the john, the water closet, the potty. But my pupils at school often call it the pot. As in, "He's on the pot." Really too much information when I ask if a kid might have gone home early, or was held by a teacher after class.

Yeah. I guess we're lucky we had indoor plumbing and not an outhouse. Or a Port-A-Potty. Still, it's kind of barbaric to expect 40 old women to use ONE toilet (some of them more that their share of times) while waiting for court to start after taking one's blood pressure meds.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like it's going to be an interesting series of posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can get a TV series spin-off: Law and Order, V-A-L.

      Delete
  2. We get free parking in a lot when you show your JD card. Also when we get called, we call the night before and are told if we will be needed or not, instead of waiting around all week and never being called like in 1974. The last two times I have been told I wasn't needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT! You can show your juvenile delinquent card and get free parking? What kind of racket is THAT? Have you talked to other people who are told to call, and then told they're not needed? Because maybe it's just you!

      We have an automated number to call. It announces the cases that have been cancelled, and the ones that are still on, for a two-week period. They are supposed to call and leave us a message, but don't count on that.

      Oh. And parking here is free. It's the wide open spaces. But you have to WALK across the wide open spaces.

      Delete
  3. I've been called for jury duty several times & sat on juries twice. One of the (few) advantages of being old is that I don't have to serve any more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an age limit? What state is this? Not that I'm planning to move there, of course...

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you have several dozen posts about this experience. I can't wait (but I guess I will have to).

    I guess on THE pot is better than ON POT, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You flatter me! Several DOZEN? I think not, Madam. It only seems like it.

      My mom would probably have said that states shouldn't legalize THE POT. She was carded trying to pick up my niece's allergy medicine, and said the people looked at her like she was MAKING THE METH!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Facts can be quite dry. You need a mug or two of embellishment to wash them down.

      Delete
  6. In the U.K. it's known as the Loo. Much cooler, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet it costs more to fill your car with petrol, and you still don't have an attendant to look under the bonnet.

      "40 Gals, 1 Loo" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

      Delete