Friday, July 24, 2026

So Many Spaces, So Little Respect

This is why we can't have accessible things. SOME people are so entitled that they park where they darn well please. Never mind that they might be inconveniencing a protected demographic. Also breaking the law. And generally being a first-class rumpushole.


It was Tuesday, the hottest day of the year. Heat index 115. I had just come out of Save A Lot and climbed into T-Hoe. I was LUCKY to get the other handicap space, the one I prefer. 

This guy comes whipping into this handicap space. No handicap plate. No handicap placard. He got out and walked to the door with no sign of any different-abledness nor orthopedic injury. He looked like a thin version of David Crosby.

Don't make excuses for him, like maybe he didn't know it was a handicap parking space. The stencil is clearly visible. It's not like there were no other places to park. The space right next to him is empty. And the whole row behind him.

I have a feeling he would have preferred to park in a striped handicap walkway. Because he and his sports car are so very special.

4 comments:

  1. On your behalf I hope he gets three flat tyres on his way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or a big stinky garbage truck parked across his driveway, so he can't put his precious car in the garage.

      Delete
  2. I can’t clearly see in the photo; but it appears the parking space may not comply with federal ADA requirements. There is a requirement that each space must have a metal sign mounted at least 60 inches from the ground displaying the wheel chair symbol. And, while not a Federal requirement, a lot of state and local ordinances require the space to be marked with blue paint.

    I think any person of reasonable intelligence should recognize the marking; however, some people believe it is not legitimate if improperly marked. Mostly they are arrogant a-h—s. The business should be in compliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stencil and line are actually blue, just faded. There are no metal signs here at all. 10Box and all the Casey's stores and the Gas Station Chicken Store have the blue lines and stencils, as well as metal signs.

      I can't imagine this Save A Lot will be driving poles into the black top to display metal signs. The Save A Lot over in the town where The Pony lives does have metal signs with their blue lines and stencils.

      I don't believe Thin David Crosby had any clues about what a "legal" handicap space should incorporate.

      Delete