Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Getting Old Is a Pain

I'm not one of those people who have to be busy all the time, spending their day productively, keeping a spotless home, whipping up delicacies from scratch, making trendy usable items from trash, and probably nigh on creating a better mousetrap and reinventing the wheel. Nope. I'm a sloth.

My days consist of a phone call to The Pony to start the morning, napping on the couch, perusing the innernets on HIPPIE at the kitchen table, a drive to town for scratchers and sometimes groceries, then throwing something in the oven for Hick's supper, washing dishes, and TV on the short couch. Nothing too strenuous.

Yesterday, I sustained an injury. I DON'T KNOW HOW!

One minute I was sitting in front of HIPPIE, having just finished my daily banana and some fake Honey Nut Cheerios, when a stabbing pain struck my back ribs on the left side! I wasn't even moving at the time. Not reaching, not laying down the banana peel, not taking a sip of water, not scratching. Just sitting. Only my eyes moving across the laptop screen.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN???

It was a sharp pain. Made me squirm, trying to get comfortable. The only comparisons I could make were when I had "pleurisy," as my grandma called it, one time when I coughed too hard, and the lining of my lung separated from what it should be attached to. That was bad. Every breath was agony for a few days. I couldn't get a deep inhale. But it gradually got better. The other was when I had gallstones, and a knifing pain shot through from my back to my front, on the right side. No position alleviated that pain. Only hard-core IV morphine in the hospital while they waited from my liver enzyme levels to drop enough for surgery.

This pain could be assuaged by leaning just the right way, and was exacerbated by leaning the wrong way. I had taken my daily aspirin about 30 minutes before I was besieged by this pain. It wasn't helping. I popped an ibuprofen. Still no relief an hour later when I laid down for a nap.

By the time I started to town about three hours after my "injury," that virtual knife was still in my back, at about half the pain level it started. I thanked the aspirin and ibuprofen.

The pain made a comeback around 9:30 p.m., when Hick returned from the auction. Usually he causes me a pain a bit lower...

Right now, it's 2:51 a.m., and I barely feel any hurt in my back left ribs. Getting old is a pain, but not getting old would be much worse.

14 comments:

  1. Aging is not for Sissies. I hope your stabby pain goes away and stays away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gone! No other medicine after the initial aspirin and ibuprofen. If I lean wrong, I get the tiniest indication of exactly where that pain was, but no pain. It's a mystery!

      Delete
  2. I understand completely. If I had know I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.
    I get those kind of cramps occasionally. Theraworks helps if I can actually get it on the spot where I'm cramping, but sometimes that is impossible. Nothing else relieves them except to maybe slowly shift in the opposite direction, if that makes sense, but usually I just have to let them work themselves out. They don't take as long as your pain did. If it happens again, maybe you should let your doctor know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knees regret those years of running five miles every morning!

      This was not so much a cramp as a muscle strain feeling. I guess it relaxed itself overnight, because now it's gone. You know how it is with the doctor... you can't get an appointment until weeks in the future, and by then I won't remember the exact location and description of that pain.

      Delete
  3. Oh Val, I feel for you. I never was a runner and so far my knees are okay. I have strained my muscles though and a strained muscle is a pain and can last longer than I would expect. So glad to hear that your pain is now gone. Fingers crossed that the pain is gone for good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely glad that pain went away! My knees didn't complain back then, but they won't forgive me now.

      Delete
  4. Hospital? Glad it eased up. But, I am slowly becoming a grouchy lady who has hurts all over my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was years ago, but the memory of that pain lingers. I'm a grouchy lady even when I don't hurt...

      Delete
  5. I have odd pain at random moments in random body parts and it's a recent thing, so I'm not at all happy about it. I currently have a sprained shoulder that has been hanging around since I lifted the twins (one at a time) last August! Sometimes the shoulder is fine, but if I sleep on it wrong it will ache all the next day. And if I don't move enough during the day a lot of other parts stiffen up and ache later. I used to brag about not having all the aches others have, but now I am sorry I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you know what caused your shoulder pain, and it wasn't something frivolous. And you had those pain-free years before the recent aches caught up to you.

      Delete
  6. I have two pains right now. But, I had a CT and will soon find out what the pains are. Pain seems to be part of my old age experience. Old pains and injuries are never forgiving. Old age is one big pain for me. Try on fibromyalgia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will get an explanation for your two pains!

      Delete
  7. I get that pain sometimes, but it is usually while making the bed up. It sort of grabs me and I can't get a good breath and have to be careful to not move to quickly or the wrong way. It will go away with time and some ibuprofen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I got rid of mine! Though it's hard to "rest" any more than my daily slothful routine...

      Delete