Tuesday, November 19, 2019

It's Like a Beacon, My Ample Rumpus

Never a dull moment routine trip to town for Val. All I had planned for Monday were two stops. The Gas Station Chicken Store to for my 44 oz Diet Coke, and Orb K to trade in some scratchers. It was going on 1:00 when I pulled onto the GSCS parking lot. A dump truck was parked off to the side by the moat separating the GSCS from Hick's pharmacy, CeilingReds. My favorite spot close to the door was taken by the Man Owner's SUV, backed in to unload supplies.

I went around to the side of the building, figuring I'd park by the air hose. While I was at it, I might as well steal a little FREE AIR for T-Hoe's left rear tire that was at 29 lb instead of the recommended 35 lb. Surely you remember. This sign is still there.


Of course I don't think that sign applies to ME! I'm special! I'm a regular customer, spending $1.69 per day on a 44 oz Diet Coke. I'm sure their profit from that exceeds an average gas purchase profit.

Anyhoo...two birds with one stone. I was stealing air, and had a parking place while I did my magical elixir business. I unscrewed the cap from the tire valve, and untangled the air hose. I had JUST bent over to jam the hose onto the valve, my ample rumpus waving in the wind, when I heard,

"Do you need some help?"

What in the NOT-HEAVEN? Of course I need help, in reducing the size of my ample rumpus. But as far as putting air in T-Hoe's tire, no. I'm pretty much an expert at that by now, after 30 years with Hick. So I replied, not bothering to look around, because you have to hold that hose RIGHT ON THE VALVE, or the air spews out all willy-nilly into not-tire, probably heating up the atmosphere in doomsday global warming proportions. So I just said,

"No. I'm good."

The would-be Val-savior said something else that I didn't hear, because I was listening to make sure I had the proper in-tire hiss of air, and counting in my head to get 4-5 pounds of pressure injected. When I thought it was sufficient, I removed the air hose, screwed the valve cap back on, and turned around.

It was the Nice Young Man Clerk! Squatting down at his own tire, his black sedan parked across the front of T-Hoe.

"Thanks. I have a slow leaker. I was counting in my head to get five pounds of air in. Here, do you need the hose?"

I was pretty sure he did. He wasn't just doing deep knee bends there between his car and T-Hoe's bumper.

"Yeah. Thanks."

"Am I parked in your way? I can move it."

"No. It's fine."

"Okay. I'll just leave it there while I go in and do my business."

As I came out, Nice Young Man Clerk was driving over to his parking place under the big sign. I'm pretty sure he didn't rat me out for stealing air.

6 comments:

  1. If you have a slow leak you will be slowly giving the air back so I wouldn't worry.

    I have my own air pump. Works off aux power in the car. Of course it is usually in the garage so if I need it while on the road it won't really help much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Christmas, I think of giving those as gifts to Genius and The Pony. I bet Genius wishes I would've, after his plugging faux pas.

      Delete
  2. I tried to put air in my bicycle tyre once with one of those filling hoses, but the tyre just wouldn't take any air. so I called my friend over, he said I was probably doing it wrong then tried and the tyre just wouldn't take any air. We had to walk the bike home on a flat tyre so as not to damage the rim. it's in the shed now with two flat tyres, waiting for me to walk it to the bike shop for new tyres. Nice young clerk will go far in the service world if he keeps up that attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I'm glad you were VALidated by the friend also having trouble with the air hose.

      That clerk is a nice guy. Polite and personable. He's gotta be good, or they would have fired him by now. The ax falls frequently at The Gas Station Chicken Store.

      Delete
  3. As long as your ample rumpus was not expelling the air I think you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. I can verify that my ample rumpus was NOT expelling air at this time. Val is not some common cow who needs a "backpack" to trap her gaseous emissions!

      https://phys.org/news/2008-07-cow-backpacks-methane-gas.html

      Delete