Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Don't Spare the Rod, Spoil the Hick

Hick bought himself a new gewgaw at the storage units. From one of his buddies. He couldn't wait to tell me about it. Even got up out of the La-Z-Boy, paraded in front of me in his tighty-whities (sorry, no photo), and fetched it from the bedroom.

I could not tell what it was. First of all, it was enclosed in a tiny ziploc bag that I could not get open. Secondly, even with my glasses, I couldn't see the details. Hick demanded that I hand it back to him. How his sausage fingers got that baggie open is a mystery to me. When he gave it back to me, explaining what it was, I was impressed.

Do you recognize it? I'll admit that my picture posed on a couch pillow does it no favors. It's a TIE CLIP! Yes, it's used. And Hick rarely wears a tie. He plans to put it in his keepsake case behind the La-Z-Boy. The one he keeps LOCKED, that I can't get into.

Here are some more pictures of the details. It has a little loose chain as the fishing line.

That's the reel.

That's the fish.

That's the pole.

Hick said he paid his buddy $5 for this tie clip. He went on to say,

"He had another one that was a TRAP! Like you use to trap an animal. Like the jaws that snap. And it really worked! He wanted $6 for that. It was neat."

"So you were too cheap to buy that one?"

"No. He already had sold it to another guy. I'd like to have had it."

At least it won't need its own themed shed. We already have The Fishing Lair over on Shackytown Boulevard, should the locked case be full to the gills.

4 comments:

  1. I guessed tie clip immediately. I haven't used one in forty years, I don't think they are in vogue. I have one of a golf club...no idea why I have saved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you secretly want to built a golf-themed shed around it...

      Delete
  2. I almost knew what it was right away. my first thought was hair clip, but then I thought tie clip because what female in her right mind would wear a fishing rod complete with fish in her hair. Next thing you know, Hick will have an entire cabinet filled with different collectible tie clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could hold it, you'd know it's kind of heavy to be a hair clip. I couldn't see the details on it without my glasses. It seemed like a heavy toothpick to me. I hope Hick hasn't started a new collection category!

      Delete