Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Equal Time for the Diminutive Equine

Since I shared the recent happenings in Genius's world last week, I feel obligated to give equal time to The Pony. I'm not going to count the words or lines and make sure each is the same. It's not like dividing the last piece of cake. In fact, neither boy reads my blog, so they'll never know. Even if they did, Genius would shrug and say, "Meh," and go on with his busy life. And The Pony wouldn't notice that he was left out. He's funny like that.

The Pony has been taking summer classes at OU in Norman, Oklahoma. It's not so much that he wanted to take the classes, but that he didn't want to come home for the summer, and living in the dorm is kind of frowned upon if you're not enrolled. I hear from The Pony more often than from Genius. Usually a text every few days, usually a few minutes before 1:00, usually with the message, "Buying a book for class on my Kindle. Class is starting now." Uh huh. I see what he's doing. He's making sure there's no back-and-forth with Mother Dearest.

He DID send me a couple pictures on Sunday. "I think a storm is coming. Clear blue sky one direction."


"This the other one:"


Classes end next week, and again, The Pony wishes to remain in Norman. Perhaps his near-death experience on his first (and last) trip home alone had something to do with it.




Anyhoo...The Pony will be moving from his dorm into university-owned apartments next week. He originally said he could do it himself, by borrowing a dolly from his RA, and help from his buddy across the hall, who had driven him to Urgent Care when he had his ear infection when he returned from Christmas break. I wrote him a letter explaining that his father was quite disappointed, since he always helped Genius move. And that Hick promised not to bother him. He just wanted to help with the big stuff, and check out the apartment to see if everything looked okay.

A couple days ago, The Pony said that he could use Hick's help. That the RA was moving earlier because of RA stuff, and her dolly wouldn't be available. And that his buddy was also going to be moving back home for the interim two weeks, because his spot in his frat house wasn't going to be available until then. Hick didn't care. He's taking A WHOLE WEEK off work to go help! Four days, three nights. Of course two of the days will be spent with at least 9 hours on the road. Of course Val is already weeping for the loss of Hick's company! HA HA HA HA! Almost got you there, didn't I?

I am not making the trip this time, because, let's face it, Val is not going to be a help, but rather a hindrance, in moving The Pony's possessions from a 9th floor dorm room to a 3rd floor apartment. I'm pretty sure The Pony is okay with my impending absence.

Maybe I can get one of those two to take some pictures and send me. All I got last time was two pictures of The Pony's dorm room. I think one was the bed, and one was a view out the window of Papa John's.

I'm making a list, and checking it about a dozen times. The Pony is going to need kitchen supplies, some food, and full size sheets instead of extra-long twin. I also asked where he's going to watch TV if he has a friend over. The furnished TV is like in the dorms, an old-style box type, whereas The Pony's TV has a flat screen. Rules say the furnishings can't be moved. He can hook up his own TV, but that boxy one has to stay in the living room, which has one couch, one chair, and a small table.

"You might, you know...need a little chair, or beanbag, or something in case you have someone over to watch TV in your room. Or I guess...if you make the bed...you could...uh...sit on that. Not that you're going to be doing that a lot, of course."

"What do you mean, Mother Dear? What makes you so sure that I won't be entertaining in my bedroom?"

"Because I'M YOUR MOTHER! And...YOU'RE NOT going to!" Which was not said as a threat, but as a heartstring tug on my growing-up little Pony.

I'm sure he'll use good judgment. As long as driving isn't involved.

14 comments:

  1. Yes, because 19 year olds have such good judgement. Mine just left the house and remembered finally to set the alarm, except we failed to tell him not to set it on the way out, if we are still home. I got some start I'll tell ya when I went downstairs for some water. At least we know it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. Did you ever think your son knew exactly what he was doing?

      Delete
  2. The Pony can entertain wherever he wants, as long a his mother doesn't find out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the need before to tell him, "Too much information!"

      Delete
  3. How thoughtful of you, Val, to mention how disappointed Hick was at the prospect of NOT helping out the Pony. I'm sure it was only altruism at work.

    Yeah, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motives aside, my plan WORKED!

      Seriously, Hick was kind of mopey about it. He was like a lost puppy when his mechanical buddy Genius left, weeping alone in his La-Z-Boy for six months. Even though The Pony has more of a bond with me, Hick still feels left out when he's not needed.

      Delete
  4. Just tell your boy you do not want any miniature ponies in the near future. Smart kid to text you right before class. Uh Huh. They think we don't know.

    And just think, you will have a mini vacation, too. Oh I know you'll miss Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They think we don't know A LOT. Like the meaning of "Netflix and chill." The Pony has never used that expression with me, but every time he mentions that his friend gave him access to her Netflix account, or that they were just hanging out watching Netflix...my former-teacher radar goes off. They are JUST FRIENDS, though. I have nothing to worry about. Right???

      I am already giddy with the anticipation of missing Hick!

      Delete
  5. We don't really want our babies to grow up, but if they stayed children and stayed home forever, we wouldn't want that either.
    It's nice that he asked for Hick's help and maybe they will remember to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Whenever The Pony made a misstep regarding deadlines, or overslept and missed a class...I told him that he can always come home and live in the basement and go to the local junior college on his own dime. And that I'd even DRIVE HIM to his classes. It's remarkable how his grades excelled by the end of the semester.

      I AM glad that The Pony asked for Hick's help, and even seems somewhat excited by the upcoming visit, telling me that he plans to take Hick to a thrift store that has THREE different rooms full of stuff.

      Delete
  6. A mother's job is never over. Good of you to give your boys equal time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been known to prompt my children to call or text their dad on occasion. He is not a conversationalist on the phone and will just give the phone to me if he can. He really enjoys texting, though. Too bad he uses the voice function ..... I get some really weird stuff from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not going to believe this...okay, you TOTALLY WILL...but Hick ALSO uses the voice function, and some of his messages are classics.

      Delete