Saturday, July 22, 2017

He Might Just Make It After All

Genius, as you recall, is working in Kansas this summer at Garmin. It's his second summer there, and he's got one semester before he graduates with his degree in computer engineering.

Tuesday evening, he called me on his way home from work. I'm pretty sure that was a premeditated phone call, to ensure that it would have a definite time limit. He doesn't live far from work. Garmin provides free housing for its summer employees.

Anyhoo...Genius said he was in a hurry, but he wanted to share that he'd given a presentation earlier in the day. One required of all 150 of the summer employees, like he'd done last time he was there, when he said it made him feel like he was at a science fair again. This time, he said he'd been pretty busy at work, and had done a "good enough" job preparing for his presentation. That had been his goal, to make it good enough, without taking time away from his projects at work.

"Mom, it took two hours of my time for the presentation, and I still have work to catch up on, and right now I'm headed home to change clothes and go to a movie with my friend. But I just wanted to tell you that I'm in the top 12 of the presenters, and now I have to do it again tomorrow! That's two hours out of my job again, and if I move on from that round, I'll miss another two hours in the afternoon!"

"Well, that's a terrible problem to have, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I'm not complaining. I just hadn't planned on them liking it so much."

So...he was home by then, and had to get ready. He's got a friend going to college near there, one he's known since high school days, even though she went to a different high school. They were going to see the new Spiderman movie.

Genius also said he's expecting an offer for full-time, after-graduation work from Garmin in a week or two. He's already got another employer waiting to hear back from him because he wants to make a counter offer. It's a firm in St. Louis where Genius did his co-op semester. He's got an idea of the figures each are going to offer, and is waiting to compare benefits. Again, such a terrible problem to have!

I'm thrilled for Genius. This time of life is so exciting, getting out on your own and starting your career. Especially when your starting pay will be twice what your mother earned per year after 28 years of teaching!

Anyhoo...I was driving to the gas station chicken store Wednesday morning for my 44 oz Diet Coke, and Genius sent me a text that he made it to the final round. He was in the top 3 out of 150 presenters. As he put it, "I presented to my boss's boss's boss this morning. Now I'll present to that guy's boss this afternoon. He gave their titles, but I don't want to get him in hot water by revealing too much. Let's just say that the title Vice President was ahead of both individuals who would hear his final presentation, and that they are one level down from CEO.

That evening, while I was leaning over the back porch rail chatting with Hick as he floated just below the surface in Poolio, on a net raft not quite rated for his weight, I got another text from Genius. He took 2nd in the finals. I asked him if there was a prize, or just braggin' rights and leverage for a future salary. Genius replied that it's a $300 bonus.

Yes. I'm bragging. That's what moms and blogs are for.

16 comments:

  1. Great stuff indeed and what a great thing to really excel and be appreciated that way, best wishes to Genius and have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll pass the best wishes on to Genius!

      Delete
  2. Oh you should be so proud of that young man of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have every right to pop your buttons with pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness that's ALL that's popping my buttons right now, thanks to those wise choices I've been making for the last year and a half.

      I think YOU have a right to do some button-popping yourself, for your own wise choices!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to Genius, and I don't blame you for bragging just look at the kid you raised, he had to get those smarts from someone, had to be Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I would like to take full credit, but it's obvious that Genius got his electrical and mechanical smarts from Hick! The book-smarts I can claim, though.

      One of the best things I've given to Genius is his sense of humor. Of course I'd say that, because IT'S JUST LIKE MINE! Sometimes we get each other laughing so much that we can't breathe.

      The Pony has a much more dry sense of humor. And Hick was born without a funny bone.

      Delete
  5. And it's the best place to brag because you reach so many more people :)
    Congratulations Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I reach all THAT many people! I could probably reach just as many by telling each weirdo that is attracted to me.

      I'll give Genius your congrats!

      Delete
  6. You have every right to kvell!! (Yiddish for to beam with pride, be delighted with, revel in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that I'm within my rights!

      When I think of how much Genius has accomplished, and how he's really going to be out on his own in five more months, and not even need me to pay his bills...I can't help but get a little verklempt. (I learned that by watching "Coffee Talk" on SNL!)

      Delete
  7. This is impressive. Next thing you know he will start understanding how the world really works. Also impressive at his age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Genius DOES still have a lot to learn about how the world works, I agree!

      Delete
  8. My grandson rode a two wheeler at 3 yo! Well 3 and 360 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for him! I hope there's a trophy for that! Genius was barely potty-trained at 3 years old, and I'm not sure if The Pony can ride a two-wheeler now!

      Delete