Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Juno Thevictorian Is/Was Missing!

Oh, dear! The Pony and I headed off for school this morning without a backward glance. And without a backwards trip, like yesterday, when I forgot my glasses but remembered them before we got to EmBee and the county road.

We were a little bit late, because Hick waxed all chatty until 6:10 about how he is DONE with work, and ready to retire. Aren't we all? Like...in 166 more school days? So that put us 10 minutes behind, and we needed to stop for gas, which we could have done after work, except that The Pony wanted to grab a donut. Make that three. Two for breakfast, and one for lunch.

Juno did not run around the porch to greet us. I didn't think anything of it, because some mornings she's there all human-eyed and loving, wanting a pat before I disappear into the garage, and some mornings she's off gallivanting about the countryside, picking up burrs in her silky egg-fed coat. I heard her barking around 5:40, I think. On the porch. A whimpery yip. Probably at that devil of a poodle across the way.

When we got home after 5:00, I pushed the garage door opener and saw a cat run out. CATS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE GARAGE RIGHT NOW! As you may recall, my furniture from Mom's house has been stashed there, including the kitchen table of her own mother. With six chairs. No cat-clawing is going to befall them on MY watch!

After parking T-Hoe, I walked around to inspect my table. It looked okay. I heard my sweet, sweet Juno on the side porch. Whimpery-whining, excited to see me, eager for cat kibble. I started talking to her as usual. "Do I hear my sweet, sweet Juno? Does Juno want some kibble? Did Juno miss me today?" Imagine my surprise when I stepped through the door to find Ann. Poor dumb Ann. The black german shepherd/lab mix. I don't know why SHE was so excited. I tolerate her. But she's not a favorite. I patted her anyway, which I do grudgingly most evenings. I even gave her a bigger handful of cat kibble than normal. Because my sweet, sweet Juno wasn't there. Ann is the nervous type. She whiny-whimpered as she partook of her begrudged treat.

I called to my sweet, sweet Juno. Waited for her to run around the porch from her house. From the front. Out of the yard. No Juno. I bent over to look in her house. No Juno. That was very odd indeed. She is never far from Ann, though they get along like me and my sister the ex-mayor's wife. In the house, I asked The Pony if he had seen her.

"No. She'll come running."

"Take this baked potato skin from last night outside. She may want it. She missed her cat kibble."

"Huh." The Pony was perplexed when he came back from the dog pans. "I don't think Dad fed the dogs this morning. Their pans are empty, and usually they have some left. Besides, Ann was eating something dead."

"I hope it wasn't Juno!"

"Nah. It was about the size of a paw."

"I hope she's okay. It's not like Juno to miss me when I come home. I hope Dad didn't lock her in the BARn again. Did he go to the BARn last night?"

"I don't know."

Of course, speak of the Hick, and he appears. He came in the kitchen door.

"Have you seen Juno? She wasn't here this morning. And she's not here now. Not in her house. Not on the porch. She was limping for the past two days. I hope nothing's happened to her."

"Well, CRAP! She was running around over at the BARn last night. I'll go see if she's in there."

Let the record show that this was almost too much for my heart to bear. My sweet, sweet Juno locked up in the BARn all day? Alone? Unable to carouse? No water? No food? No love?"

It was almost worse when Hick returned, and declared that my sweet, sweet Juno HAD been in the BARn all day. Because I could imagine her yipping with delight when she heard the sound of Hick's Gator approaching. Picture her gamboling about Hick's feet when he opened the door. Imagine her joy at seeing him after a day all alone in a metal BARn. Worshiping her imprisoner, when I her true rescuer, was a hundred yards away. Unthanked.

When Hick came back inside, I told him to feed Juno. "She'll be hungry after missing her food this morning, and her dozen eggs through the day cat kibble this evening."

"There's food around there right now. In them pans."

"No. They're empty."

"They have food."

"How would you know? You haven't been around there. The Pony just came in five minutes ago ans said they were empty."

"Okay. I'll go give her some food." He went out the laundry room door. "C'mon you stupid mutt."

This is the third time Hick has locked my sweet, sweet Juno in the BARn. Now he's also letting the cat in the garage. He SAID she must have slipped in there. He doesn't even go in the garage. His car is outside because of my furniture that HE had the bright idea to put in there. So the cat would have had to walk right under his nose while he was getting their kibble this morning. IF he really locked the cat door in the big garage door like he said.

When Hick retires, I'm going to give him a checklist on a clipboard to fill out and turn in to me several times a day. Let's hope my furniture is not still in the garage.

14 comments:

  1. SSJ won't bark when locked in the BARn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! She DOES bark! I'm sure she started when Hick fired up his Gator to drive back to the house that night. Both dogs go into a frenzy barking at the sound of that engine. They jump off the porch without use of the steps, and chase after Hick to run in front of the Gator.

      Hick is not attuned to SSJ's moods and behaviors as I am. Actually, he's kind of like The Pony, and doesn't really care about helping anyone or anything besides himself.

      As for the daylight hours when we were at work...in the BARn, nobody can hear you bark.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully he'll be more interested in doing the work on the clipboard than a cus I know. The cus I know (actually the day cus and the night cus are just alike in their severe allergy to work, so when I speak of one, I'm speaking of the other) has no idea what a clipboard is... just like he has no idea what real work is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to put some kind of coupon at the bottom as a carrot on that clipboard stick. Hick is very aware of those Casey's Pizza coupons on the box. After 10, you get a free pizza!

      Maybe I can let him have a free road-junk excursion after 10 clipboards.

      Delete
  3. Poor Juno, locked in the barn all day long. Hopefully it's cool in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to our electric bill, it better be! Hick put my mom's old heat pump unit in his BARn. So no matter what the weather, his lair is reasonably comfortable. Even though he's only in it a couple of hours, at most, a couple times a week.

      Delete
  4. Poor Juno, maybe you should lock Hick in the BARn. You just know, the day after you retire, he will turn in his paperwork, and you will be able to keep tabs on him all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might as well throw a rabbit in the briar patch. Hick would love to be locked in the BARn. He even has a working toilet in there now. Maybe he should take a staycation when he retires. A staycation a couple of months long.

      Indeed, I am afraid he will turn in that paperwork too soon. He is supposed to wait until December after I retire in May.

      Delete
  5. I HATE it when I'm locked in the BARn all day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness! That makes you more like sweet, sweet Juno than like Hick.

      Delete
  6. Or you could serve him dinner in the garage. Just to mess with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could put the black-with-white-speckles roaster pan with leftover cat kibble on the table beside him! Then he could have a dinner companion.

      Delete
  7. Linda has a scathingly brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda is full of scathingly brilliant ideas. And sometimes, some other stuff, too!

      Delete