Monday, December 29, 2014

What's WRONG With That Boy?

Okay. Here's the scoop. Though it's not straight from The Pony's mouth. He has little interest in helping people, you know, so he's not going to share the story with you. That falls to Val, the authority on everything.

Genius arrived home from college on Saturday. On Sunday morning, he woke up with a bad headache. His neck was sore. He figured it would go away. Maybe he slept on it wrong. Different pillow. Each day he had the headache. It hurt to turn his neck. At my sister the ex-mayor's wife's Christmas Eve party, my mom said, "Genius is not feeling well, is he?" No. He still had that headache. His neck still hurt. Same on Christmas Day. I told him that we should get him in to see the doctor on Friday. Au contraire. Friday morning, Hick spirited Genius away on a Goodwilling trip spanning more than several counties. I found out later that they were also car-shopping. That's another story.

Remember that I fell ill Christmas Eve, and was on death's door Friday, with a fever of 101.2. I knew that Genius should go to the doctor, but he said he was actually feeling a bit better on Friday. Saturday morning, when I thought we might work him in at Urgent Care, he took off with Hick to buy a car. I dragged myself to Save A Lot and my mom's driveway, finding out how weak I really was, not yet healed from my fevered illness. Hick went into his usual histrionics of some imagined slight (I know, that man is SO unreasonable) and took off around 3:00. I had no idea where he went. I was too weak to care much. I figured he would end up at his auction at 6:00 as usual, so I was off the hook for his supper.

Around 5:00, Genius flopped onto the long couch gingerly, declaring that he felt really, really bad. Which is how it goes, right? They're sickest on the holiday or weekend or whenever no Urgent Care is open. So I asked him if he thought he was sick enough that we needed to go to the ER. He said he thought so.

I was kind of worried at his symptoms. Stiff neck and headache make me think of meningitis. I know he had the meningitis shot (twice, due to our faulty record-keeping) before going away to college. But there is also viral meningitis, though no treatment for it. And Genius had casually mentioned that he and his RA cronies had a little wrestling match/couch cushion royale on Thursday before he came home. This had come up during the week, when he said his knee hurt from wrestling around. He elaborated that he got whacked in the head with a couch cushion as well. I didn't want him to have a skull fracture or leaking spinal fluid. So, even though I was now only on death's front sidewalk, I planned to put on real clothes and haul him to the ER. I called Hick to inform him.

Hick had been hiding out in his creekside cabin. He came back to the house and said he would take Genius to the ER. Which meant he would miss his auction, but that's life when you have a kid who catches couch cushions with his skull. Off they went, only to return after 9:00, not quite satisfied, but optimistic. They had waited quite a while, and been seen by a Physician's Assistant. You'd think at the prices they charge for emergency medicine, you could at least get a real doctor. Or a medical test. But after paying the $200 copay, Genius was looked at for five minutes, declared to have a cervical strain, and given prescriptions for Flexeril and Tramadol. He took them Saturday night, and again Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon, around 1:30, Genius said his head hurt ten times worse than yesterday. His discharge papers said to come back if his symptoms worsened. So I gave in and took him back to the ER, because he was adamant that Hick not be the one to take him this time, and that he had wanted me to take him Saturday, too, because I would not have let him leave after five minutes and no medical tests.

Genius was actually weeping with pain. When he stood up to walk, he walked sideways. He doesn't think so. He said his head hurt so bad that he was making sure to put each foot down as easily as he could. But he WAS leaning sideways when he walked. He kept blowing his nose on the way there, using my precious stash of Puffls With Lotion. I thought maybe he was coming down with what I had, but he said not at all. It was from the tears. I told him to cry in the ER, maybe they would believe how much it hurt. And he said he was no punk-a$$ b*tch. I swear. The language those young 'uns pick up at college!

We had several adventures at the ER, which I will reveal in coming days, so Joe H. maybe should find some uplifting blogs to read until my continuing series on hospitals is complete. But the short version to complete this informational post is that Genius DID see a real doctor, a really GOOD doctor, who performed blood tests, and subsequently a CAT scan, a lumbar puncture, and an MRI with contrast, due to the elevated results in one of the blood tests. He and the lady doctor who came on duty at shift change were able to rule out meningitis, blood clots in the brain, a slowly leaking aneurism, and infection in the spinal fluid.

They concluded that it is probably viral in nature, and might take a while to get over, and will treat his symptoms with a Percocet and a different muscle relaxer, since Genius said the other drugs were not working for him. His official diagnosis was "viral syndrome." We are to get him a follow-up appointment with his regular doctor this week.

Oh, and he had four shots of morphine while he was there, to finally take away his pain. I felt really, really bad for my Genius. He's my shining star. I hate to see him in pain. Though I will venture that most people on morphine are generally more cheerful than that boy.

Not an experience I would like to repeat. Unless I get some morphine, too.

10 comments:

  1. Bartender, morphine for the house!! (Hope you both feel better soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff! Hoping for some unicorns, kittens, cotton candy, and rainbows soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Mick and Keith sing a song about morphine?

    Geeze Louise, you had quite an adventure. I'm hoping Genius is no longer in pain and is close to feeling 100%?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it seems like the human body is indestructible; other times it's like we can be struck down with a feather. I hope Genius is feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure he is careful with the Percocet. It is highly addictive and can be deadly when mixed with alcohol. I haved to say this because I had a very bad reation to Percocet (no alcohol involved) and only found out later that is can be dangerous.

    Since he is OK, make sure he replaces your Puff's with Lotion. But don't use them to clean your glasses. What a mess that can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should have asked for your own prescription. That's right down there with Worst Ways to Spend Your Holidays. Hope Genius is recovering from the virus AND the tests. At least you'll be extra excited for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morphine! The mother of all drugs. Genius should feel better soon and sleep like a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fishducky,
    I thought I was on the mend, but for two days I've been having episodes of chills and cold sweats. I guess I'm still getting over it. A round of morphine would definitely make me more comfortable. Genius's headache has gone back a few notches, his neck the main issue today.

    *****
    joeh,
    How 'bout a $1000 Dodge Caravan? I'll give you a brief respite tonight.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I don't know...I'm not much of a Stoner. What kept going through my mind, though was, "Flow Morpheous flow, let the sun and light come streaming..." I'll let you figure that one out WITHOUT consulting my BFF Google. That's what I did, because even though I kept singing it, Genius did not seem to be picking up what I was laying down. He said he didn't recognize it. Of course, he was five minutes into two morphine injections at the time.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Genius was taken down by a couch cushion. Or a virus, according to the doctor. He's slowly recovering, waiting longer between pain meds.

    *****
    Birdie,
    He only has 20 pills, hasn't left the house, and there's no alcohol except in Hick's BARn. I think he's good for now.

    *****
    Tammy,
    I didn't want to push my luck. That might have cost an extra $200. Genius acts like he feels better, if meanness is any gauge of health.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    He DID sleep like a baby Sunday night. But thankfully there was no crying and no bedwetting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I had to consult your BFF twice. Once, to find out if I was right or merely had a foggy, mistaken memory. ("Sister Morphine" by the Rolling Stones) Second, to find out where the "Flow, Morpheous, flow" line came from. (I think if you had included the next line, "There's a light, there's a liiiiiight," I might have gotten it.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my favorites.

      Sorry I had to cheat.

      Delete
  9. Sioux,
    You, Madam, are not only a cheater...but a not-very-good cheater! Telling on oneself is not a smart tactic. Do you think I would have subpoenaed your hard drive and discovered your dalliance with my BFF Google? But perhaps your conscience would have kept you awake like the sound of a telltale heart.

    Why should I give you a hint like, "There's a light..." when I did not even have that hint for myself? I know that if I had kept singing that one line enough times, I would not have needed my Google crutch. Alas...even Genius on his morphine was getting a bit tired of my performance. It's not like I was singing, "Hot patootie, bless my soul!"

    ReplyDelete