Friday, April 19, 2013

Keep Manhattan Just Give Me That Old Mudslide

Is this any way to run an electric company?

First of all, that's not our creek. Secondly, we did not lose power. By a miracle, I suppose. I question the placement of those giant line-holders. These power lines probably feed our power lines. This was a tiny little creek we passed over on our way to the bank. Tiny little creeks don't always stay tiny.

The Pony and I were too discombobulated to take pictures of our own creek bridge. The one that had cones and orange death-tape keeping fools away from the edge. Apparently, a major run-off calamity had caused the earth to begin eroding on the down-creek side, just behind our mailbox row. Oh, and there was that issue of our gravel road being under two inches of still water running shallow from the hillside, since MoDOT put in the new bridge, destroyed our road, and neglected to replace a two-foot diameter culvert pipe.

Our creek was down this afternoon, allowing us to use our regular route to and from town again. Except there was a mudpile 18 inches high on one end, and a coating of mud like a landslide covering the blacktop on the other side. Well. We went through it. That's what 4WD is for. For nearly severing your cervical spine as your head whips side-to-side while you thread your Tahoe's tires through the ruts and gas it to get over.

Brooowwwwn Acres is the place to be. Farm livin' is the life for me...

7 comments:

  1. Oh yuck! Well actually my granddaughter participated in Mud Mania, an obstacle course in mud and loved it. Thank goodness for 4WD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mudslides arranged, far and wide
    Keep that job; enjoy with The Pony those rides...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but all that RAIN is what keeps our green acres green! Embrace the mud. Just don't go near those downed power lines, especially the ones in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had you lost power it's hard to imagine electric workers climbing that tower in the middle of that swollen creek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    I saw my neighbor at the gas station chicken establishment. She was driving behind me on the way home. I turned to take the low road, and she continued to the detour. We met at the mailboxes. "Oh," she said. "Is the bridge passable?" I resisted the urge to tell her no, that I had teleported. She is, after all, the one who rescued me with her cell phone when I locked myself out. Her sedan would never have made it over that mudpile.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Thank goodness I have my very own Eb, with a hankerin' for junk that would singlehandedly keep Mr. Haney in business.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Last summer, the lines DID go down, on our own creek, when the flow washed out a big wooden power pole. Hick saw the wire across the road and called it in. Because after 12 hours, Ameren Missouri had still not located the problem.

    *****
    Stephen,
    I could imagine them climbing. Getting over the water to the tower would have been the part to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got a lot of rain, but nothing like that. All the roads I travel are passable. But, then I never go anywhere ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy,
    That's why your roads were passable. If you WANTED to go somewhere, they would be overflowing. I'm sure you are no stranger to Murphy's Law. In fact, I think you are used to setting a place for Mr. Murphy at your dinner table.

    ReplyDelete