Sunday, May 8, 2022

A Dog and Pony Showdown

The Pony sent me a text Saturday afternoon after 4:00.

"Not a great day! Hotter than I thought. Also got bitten by a small dog. Not very badly, so not worth reporting to the managers."

Of course I called The Pony.

"Did it break the skin?"

"Yeah, but not the pants. I'm sending you a picture."

 
"You should report it. You could get rabies!"

"No. No saliva. It was the pressure of the bite. I'm surprised that little yippy dog could get its mouth open far enough to bite my leg. But no, the pants didn't get a hole. My leg actually looks better than your car-door leg."

"Wash it with soap and water. Put ointment and a bandaid on it."

"Can't find my ointment. I will ointment it tomorrow when I'm at your house.""

"Okay I guess. Alcohol?"

"I'm not gonna put rum on a wound. It's fine, Mom."

"That was funny. But I'm still worried."

"Actually, two OTHER dogs also came after me, but they weren't as aggressive. One bit me on the other leg. Barely."
 
 
Hick thinks The Pony should report the bite. I said at least he'd have a reason not to deliver there again.

"Oh, we can skip any house we want if we feel threatened by a loose dog."

Good to know. At least The Pony has pictures, with a timestamp, for future reference if needed. I'm afraid the whole Worker's Comp hullabaloo from his broken ankle has spoiled The Pony for reporting injuries.
 
The Pony must have been extra-tasty on Saturday. Or maybe he was wearing the uniform pants he had on when he was out here last, petting Jack. 

8 comments:

  1. Pony is one of those young guys are whom my husband I call: the Young Immortals. Not a whole lot of common sense, does careless things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree. Thank goodness The Pony is not some daredevil risk-taker. He gets into enough predicaments in the course of a normal week.

      Delete
  2. Would be worth confirming the dog had it's shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I don't know that The Pony will make that effort. At least a little yippy dog in town is less likely to have been exposed to a rabid animal compared to a country hound like ours.

      Delete
  3. I know it's summer, but maybe a pair of thigh-high leather boots might be a good idea. And he can wear them in winter too, with snow shoes strapped on, heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might fit right in with The Pony's sense of fashion! Maybe he could wear snow shoes with them now, to keep from sinking into a hole up to his knee with the recent mud.

      Delete
  4. He should really be reporting incidents. So many things could go wrong, and he would have to be responsible for medical bills. Dog bites are reported to the police so that the animal can be quarantined for rabies. His leg looks fine, and reporting is such a hassle, but why take that chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure The Pony is SUPPOSED to report such incidents, but roping him into it proves difficult.

      Delete