Thursday, May 12, 2022

The Pony Was Off His Feed

With The Pony living under his own roof now, I try to pretend he's doing just fine without me. Then I get a text at 6:37 a.m. revealing that maybe he's not.

"I feel awful today! I don't have the leave to call out but I'm regretting my fish burritos from last night heavily."

Let the record show that The Pony has been back to work for two weeks since his mandatory separation of five days at the 1-year anniversary of his CCA start date. His scheduled days off for this week were Monday and Wednesday. It was Tuesday morning that he was sick.

"Do what you have to do. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that you won't get paid for the day, and you'll lose Wednesday off."

"Yeah. I'll try to go. If it gets too 'uncontrollable,' I might just call out anyway because that's not something I'm willing to work with. Fingers crossed it gets better with a shower, and moving."

"Dad's going to be at your house working. You could try to go in, and leave if you have to."

"Yeah. If I end up calling out, it's not going to be a fun time. My plan for now is to go."

"They'll know you're not trying to get two days off in a row."

"Also, you can probably blame me for feeling sick. I may or may not have been stubborn and tried some milk that might have been off. Like the date said the tenth but the bottle smelled like buttery popcorn (like, exactly like it!) So I poured some out to test and it was still kinda off, but not like explicitly sour."

"You don't drink milk."

"I have it with cereal."

"Live and learn! If you don't die!"

"I didn't want to ruin the cereal if the milk was bad, so I tried some and now I suffer for my culinary crimes!"

"And you wonder why I question your common sense. I hope it's not a dog bite side effect. If you start foaming at the mouth, go to urgent care!"

"Nah. The leg's fine. Like you never made questionable food choices in college!"

I assure you. The questionable choices I made in college did not involve food...

Anyhoo... The Pony went to work, and lasted the whole day. Said he felt better after a shower. I guess his problem worked itself out by his 10:00 a.m. start time.

4 comments:

  1. Fish burritos AND questionable milk? The Pony does like to gamble doesn't he? But gambling with your health is never a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony will never be renowned for his rational thought processes.

      Delete
  2. He just needed to hear your voice, my boy does that, too. He already knows the answer to a question, but needs re-enforcement. I love that he just wants to talk to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony must not need to hear my voice, because he never calls! He must need to see my finger-tapping. Always texting. Each one of his texts is like a slightly-abridged "War and Peace." Seeking reassurance for decisions he has made, or is contemplating.

      Delete