Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Meandering Journey to an Eventual Destination: The Punchline of an Inside Joke

With The Pony back home from college, my routine has been altered. Such as slipping into something more comfortable after my daily trip to town. I like to stop behind the short couch, take off my shoes, and slip off my town pants. Then I can fold them on the way to the bathroom, for use another day. I don't think they get all that dirty by wearing them for an hour. Anyhoo... now that The Pony is here, I have to undress in the bathroom, not behind the couch!
___________________________________________________________________

Weekday mornings (meaning around noon), The Pony and I sometimes watch reruns of The Middle on the ABC Family channel (now renamed Freeform). The character of Sue Heck has her first boyfriend, a fellow 8th grader named Brad, who is exceptionally flamboyant. As in, you could see his flamboyancy from space. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyhoo... Sue's mom Frankie and dad Mike don't want to say anything to Sue about Brad probably not being her forever boyfriend. When Sue says she knows to leave her bedroom door open when Brad comes over, Frankie and Mike say, "You can close it."

On one episode, Sue is mad at Brad. As she tells her parents: "I caught Brad with another boy, out behind the dumpsters, and they were--"

Frankie and Mike cut eyes at each other, nod knowingly, then Sue says:

"SMOKING!"

We got a good laugh out of that.
____________________________________________________________________

Back to The Pony. He has a friend from college who lives in the city, and drives down every week or two. The Pony meets her in town, then drives her to Steak N Shake for lunch. Monday, they had planned to go visit the local Mineral Museum, but it has curtailed its hours to weekends. So they were on the long couch in the living room, playing a game on The Pony's laptop, when I got home from town.

I walked in and greeted them. Then said,

"Here I am, standing behind the short couch, taking off my... SHOES!"

Heh, heh! I guess you had to be there. I guess you had to be The Pony. I'm pretty sure that friend thinks I'm a real nutjob.

So much that you can see my nutjobbery from space.

10 comments:

  1. You just can't know anymore. Glad you have Pony home who is how old? I am also wearing my at home pants. It is a migraine day, which I have not had for a few days! Botox shots + Aimovig has been good for me.

    You are not a mutjobbery alone. I will wave at the space thingee, so they can pass it onto you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Hick might say, "The Pony is 22, going on 14." He just graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a chemical engineering degree. Full of facts, short on common sense sometimes...

      While the space thingy is observing YOU (in your at-home pants), I can perpetrate shenanigans all willy-nilly throughout the county!

      Delete
  2. I love it! Your sense of humor with pony is great! I bet pony had a little bit of a heart stop when you announced your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! He gave me the side-eye, with panic on his face! He later said that he was VERY WORRIED that I was going to say PANTS. He didn't explain it to his friend, either. So I'm sure my nutjobbery is confirmed in her mind.

      Delete
  3. At least they weren't. . . SMOKING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I'm pretty sure you mean The Pony and his friend, although if you meant my SHOES, that would have been just as shocking.

      Delete
  4. I remember that episode of The Middle. I didn't watch the show often because I wanted to smack the mother too many times. I know shows like that are exaggerated, but why des she have to always let the kids run the house while she feels inadequate as a parent. Lay down some rules! Anyway, I understand about undressing only halfway into the house, I used to do the same when I got home from work. Shoes at the front door, near naked by the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then maybe you were happy on the episode where Frankie had pinkeye and couldn't watch the royal wedding!

      The Pony being home has definitely put the kibosh on putting away groceries without a shirt!

      Delete
  5. My kids don't say what they are thinking about me, but if they were bald, I could read their minds. They humor me these days. At least you get to go to town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Good thing they're not bald. Yes, I can get to down, but not without difficulties lately, due to road work.

      Delete