Tuesday, March 10, 2020

It Takes an Image to Assuage a Val

Here we go again! Why do weirdos lurk around the isolated areas I frequent each day?

I've been leaving for town around 1:30 these days. I always park T-Hoe and get out for the mail. I leave him running, just let the driver's door lay without latching. All I have to do is walk across the blacktop road to EmBee and withdraw our mail from her gullet.

Monday, rain was falling at a rate which required an umbrella. I'd ferreted it out of A-Cad's rear before leaving the garage. When I neared Mailbox Row, I saw a red car parked over on the gated dirt road across the bridge, where I've seen people dumping trash. Huh. That was odd. Even odder, a man was standing at the end of the bridge near mailbox row.

Had it been a sunny day, I might have not been as suspicious. But WHO stands in the RAIN, to look into a creek with barely any water? A WEIRDO, that's who!

This weirdo might not have bothered me, had he turned to look at me, and perhaps nodded a greeting, or tipped his hand in a wave. That's what country people do. Yet this Camo Weirdo (of course he was wearing a camouflage jacket and hat) kept his back to me.

I momentarily considered going on by, and stopping when I returned. But I knew I'd have cold food in T-Hoe, and it would be near time for the school bus drop off, so cars might be parked where T-Hoe needed to be. You can bet that I turned OFF T-Hoe, and kept the keys in my hand, as I held my red umbrella aloft with the other one. I kept an eye on Camo Weirdo's back. In case he made a run for T-Hoe, I'd click the clicker and lock the doors.

Camo Weirdo sidled across the bridge, over to the side by our gravel road. He went to the middle of the span. All the while, keeping his head turned away from me. I got back to T-Hoe, folded up my bumbershoot, and climbed inside. I'd decided to snap a picture of this suspicious fellow and his auto. Just in case anyone said their mail was missing. All I can say is that he didn't take my Sprint bill.

Anyhoo...I picked up my phone, and put down the window part way. Rain was still coming in, even though it doesn't show up in my photos. As I focused on that red car, I noticed that Camo Weirdo was GONE! What in the Not-Heaven??? I snapped the picture anyway. As I zoomed in for another one,

CAMO WEIRDO WAS WALKING ACROSS THE ROAD!

Later inspection of the photos on the big screen of New Delly revealed that Camo Weirdo had been HIDING BEHIND A TREE during the first photo! Seriously! Zoom in, and you'll see him.

You might have to look closely, because he IS wearing camouflage! He's behind that big tree on the left side of the bridge. I had to zoom in. I don't know if you can do that with my picture.

Anyhoo...I got him crossing the road.

I showed Hick. He said that car is nobody who lives out here, and neither is that guy. We zoomed in on him.

Let the record show that if you stand on the road in the rain, and hide behind a tree in Outer Backroads, you might have your picture taken!

12 comments:

  1. I think I might keep more than a camera in my car around your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's weird. Oh, I guess you kinda said that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detecting weirdness made my life a whole lot simpler during my 28-year teaching career. Preventative measures can be taken before an incident occurs.

      Delete
  3. I am with Joeh to some degree. Camo guy drives a mighty nice red car. He is not trying to avoid detection with a car like that. Something is up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car stands out, yet he blends in! Hiding behind the tree was the kicker!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you took photos, they'll come in handy as evidence one day. Print them out and never lose them. I've done the same with suspicious characters around here a while ago, took photos through my screen door so I wasn't seen, got vehicles, number plates and other details like one fender wrapped in duct tape etc, sent them in anonymously with an account of goings on to the crimestoppers website. Now I'm hoping nobody else from around here reads this. I don't want that lot of hoods coming after me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good deed! They shouldn't do the crime if they don't want to be reported for it!

      You are a neighborhood treasure, like our across-the-road neighbor who stops possible dognappers for questioning, and tells them to skedaddle before she calls the police!

      Delete
  5. Keep a can of wasp spray handy. You can aim that can as well as a gun and if you hit him the eyes with the spray he will definitely be disabled and won't come any closer. I keep one on the golf cart (I often encounter wasps) and one at the registration desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! I need that Black Flag kind, that shoots a stream about 20 feet! It's sensible for you to keep yours at the registration desk, in case you are accosted by dangerous two-legged pests.

      Delete