Sunday, March 8, 2020

Sell Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)

Hick's Storage Unit Store is stocked with eclectic merchandise. He sent me a picture of his latest investment.

"Did you see the turn table they are $133 at Walmart"

"Yours looks old."

"No brand new"

"Old people like your brother will buy them to play Elvis records."

"They will hook up to computer and in phone"

"Speakers would be easier."

"Probably ill sell them for $40 gave $15"

 From Hick's original email with the picture: "$15.00 i bought 2 they list $179"

Maybe I'm old-school, but I still have a turntable and giant speakers to play my handful of old albums on. It seems inconvenient to be plugging this turntable into a phone or computer. I guess maybe to convert the music into a different medium?

Then again, I'd think you could just about download anything you want these days, without going through the turntable process...

I'm probably overlooking something. I AM a technology simpleton.

12 comments:

  1. For some reason these days people love the pop and hiss of vinyl. Just I like the snow and periodic horizontal flip on my TV when I hold on to the coat hanger antenna with aluminium foil booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess people should have been more hoardy! Then they'd still have their original turntables. Unless they abandoned them in a storage unit...

      Delete
  2. We have moved too many times over the pasts 40+ years. We still have our favorite vinyls, but no turntable. I have not heard about the coat hanger for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't resort to the coat hanger, because we're so hoardy that we had the original halo thingy on the back of the TV.

      Delete
  3. Yes, conversion is the thing these days. You can play your old favourite records on the turntable and record the music to your I-phone or to your mp3 player, which is what I would do if I hadn't already bought the songs from iTunes because I couldn't afford a turntable and where would I put one of those anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now it makes sense to me. Genius has hooked me up with Spotify at $9.99 per month, so I just pick my songs and listen that way. Turntables ARE bulky!

      Delete
    2. Not to mention a serious LACK of power outlets here. I have extension cords all over the place all plugged into an assortment of surge protector power boards.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, and more connector cords to lose, to hook up one gadget to another.

      Delete
  4. Wheee, that is too much techno talk for my brain. Hick does find deals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't sold them yet! But I know he'll take a dollar over what he paid, just to unload them and move his merchandise.

      Delete
  5. I hear tell that the old records sound better on vinyl. I haven't tested this theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if that's how you remember hearing them back in the day.

      Delete