Sunday, December 15, 2019

I Think We Have a Peeper

I think we have a peeper. Oh, not a peeper of ME, peering through the mini blinds, looking for some ample rumpus action. My ample rumpus may be known for miles around, but known to AVOID IT. Not to seek out a view.

No, what I mean is a CONTENTS snooper. Of the gifts Genius is having delivered here, so he doesn't have to carry them on the plane from Pittsburgh. Here's one that came this week. It was in the lock box down by Mailbox Row. Delivered by the US Postal Service.

To me, it clearly looks like somebody has peeled back the tape for a quick look or feel, then stuck it back down. Hick says the item is too big for the package.


Hick says the machines mess with the boxes as they go through the conveyor. I don't think a machine peels back part of the tape, then sticks it down again. I think some human hands had a hand in it. Since it came by US Postal Service, and was left in the lock box, evidence points to an insider. Not somebody wandering by and taking a look on the porch, or if it had been set on top of the mailboxes. Heh, heh. For sure not the latter, because they would just TAKE IT.

As for the rough machines...


I could believe this was a mechanical issue. Genius had the package sent here. It's someone's gift. Not mine. He wanted me to open it and check. Huh. Whatever poked the box went all the way through, and hit the spine of a beautiful literary work inside. Left a pencil-point size indentation in the spine. Not noticeable unless you're looking for it. So Genius isn't sending it back, due to time constraints. Still. You pay your money, and you expect undamaged merchandise.

Several years ago, we had a committed peeper. That was on packages delivered by UPS. I'd say over 50% showed evidence of peepage. Most of the packages were from Amazon. I did NOT suspect our delivery lady. She was quite professional, always friendly, tossing dog biscuits to my fleabags, and setting the package on top of Juno's dog house, then giving a quick knock on the kitchen door. I really miss her. I suppose she retired.

As you might have noticed, there is no love lost between Val and the US Postal Service. But they're still a step above FedEx.

10 comments:

  1. It does look like someone took a peek at the contents, if it was something they wouldn't mind having for themselves, probably it would have vanished and you would never get it. I'm glad that didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was the thief who took the acne medicine from the mailbox many years ago. Learned the lesson not to tote around a package without seeing if it was theft-worthy.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, they definitely snoop. And I have received letters ripped open, and one that had the envelope shredded in half, but they still delivered. Are they looking for contraband? Got snow?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more of a theft ring than contraband inspectors. Or just nosy people in the chain of custody of the packages. It was the box shape, and heaviness. A gaming console could have fit in there, rather than a tome of culinary nature.

      We have SLEET and FREEZING RAIN. Cedars are starting to sag. Footing slippery. I might have to go without my 44 oz Diet Coke! It's the beginning of a frozen Apopadopalyspe, as Hick calls it.

      Delete
  3. Now you've got ME curious. What "tome of culinary nature" was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fancy-schmancy cover, done tastefully in off-white with plain black lettering, supposedly to assist one who is not a friend of the kitchen. Genius does not give simple gifts. No red-tablecloth-checked Betty Crocker cover on this instructional volume.

      Delete
  4. I get all the packages for the entire park in my office and have never been tempted to snoop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Karma has rewarded you with the find of 9-year-old Shell station parking lot lights.

      Genius has a doorman at his apartment building, who is handy for accepting packages. Hope he's not a snooper!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE cookbooks! I buy them to look at the pretty pictures, since I so rarely cook anything from them. I actually did a cull last year and gave away a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a couple cookbooks. I do love the pictures. Sometimes I'll try dishes I think Hick will eat.

      Delete