Thursday, October 18, 2018

Hick Takes a Stab at Selling Knives

Hick has been honing his resale skills by buying knives at the auction, and selling them at his Storage Unit Store. He can get small pocket knives for a song, and reap a profit. You know Hick. Doesn't have to be a large profit. Any profit is good, and moves the merchandise. Which makes room for more new stuff, which draws back repeat customers.


Here's a nice little selection that cost Hick $10.00. He plans to sell the small knives for $2-$4, and thinks he can get $10 for the circle knife. Whatever THAT is! I've never heard of a circle knife, but there it is, plain as junk on Hick's free workbench. I think there are 28 knives there. Every time I counted, I got a different number. You are welcome to prove me wrong! If he gets even $2 apiece, that's $56, plus $10 for the circle knife. Not a bad return on his original $10 investment.


This controversial assortment cost Hick $5 total for the three knives, and $2 for the hatchet. I'm thinking that the rebel flag was added later? Since the knives themselves appear to have the heads of Mount Rushmore Presidents on them. These items will likely sell around here, since one of the major high schools has the Rebel as a mascot. If there's no interest, Hick can always take the rebel flag out. When I zoomed in, it looked like a paper cutout. The blade on the left looks like an evil weapon, but it has a nice case.


Hick bought 9 of these hunting knives at $6.50 each. He says he can sell them for $12 apiece, though he might ask $15 and let people talk him down. He thinks they will sell well with deer season on the horizon in November.

All these finds came from one auction. Looks like Hick is a pretty sharp cookie.

14 comments:

  1. I used to watch a knife selling show on late night TV...very entertaining. They sold like a billion knives axes and swords for $65. Fascinating that anyone would want all of them, and I could never figure out how they were so cheap.

    I figure Hick knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Hick was never a night owl, or we'd have a whole building (bigger than The Pony's Knife Shack) for storing Hick's TV purchases!

      Delete
  2. Nick and my husband John would be fast friends. He loves knives. Heck, I love watching Forged in Fire.

    Knives from selling shows are cheap and quality reflects that. I guess we have become knife snobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes watch Forged in Fire with Hick. Not intentionally. I tell myself I'll just watch to the next commercial, but then I get hooked.

      Hick isn't concerned with quality unless it's for his personal collection, which consists mostly of Case Knives.

      Delete
    2. It's a brand of knife, with many different varieties. I found a website that tells the value of different knives, and put CASE in the box to look up that brand. Hick ain't a-woofin when he says he has a collection worth a pretty penny!

      https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/price_guide/case/

      Hick has been buying Case knifes here and there, for as long as I've known him. Sometimes he orders a new model, or sometimes he shops at the Case outlet store in Lebanon, Missouri, and sometimes he buys a box of junk at an auction and finds a Case knife in it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, wait just a darn minute. Did you, Val the Victorian, just say that poor often-maligned Hick in this blog is a "pretty sharp cookie?" Have you gone completely around the bend? Or is that a comment on his knife blades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because Hick is a sharp mechanical cookie doesn't mean I have to dwell on it! I figure a mention every 10 years or so, to make a play on knife blades, is sufficient.

      Delete
  4. That's a lots of knives. I'm curious about what a circle knife is and what it does too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Hick, and he said, "I really don't know." Maybe he's becoming a dull cookie...he usually at least makes something up!

      Delete
  5. All buying & no selling would make Hick a dull knife!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while he was on that track. I'm so glad he rented that double unit to hawk his flea market wares.

      Hick does sell a lot of the cheap knives. Guys looking around his shop figure they can spend $2 on a masculine gewgaw. Grandpas buy them for their grandsons who tag along. Pocket knives are almost a requirement around here.

      Delete
  6. Hick seems to have a lot of salesmanship! It is a special skill to know how to move the merchandise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His main tactic is not trying to make too much profit off each item. Quantity over quality, I suppose.

      Delete