Saturday, February 23, 2013

Maybe We Should Bury Them in Shallow Graves

Hey, remember that storm we had here in Missouri on Thursday? Yeah. That one. This still reminds me of it. It's a picture of our gravel road today at noon.


But getting back to when the storm was but a pup...I was getting a little upset with the TV meteorologists. They just couldn't predict any time or numbers until about...um...I don't know...THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SLEET HIT THE ATMOSPHERE. They kept hemming and hawing about it being a southern storm, which is SO unpredictable here in Missouri. What they're being paid for if not for predicting weather, I don't know.

The day OF the storm's arrival, the event we had been waiting for some TEN LOOOOONG DAYS, I started hearing that my county was going to get the worst of the freezing rain. Puh-leeze! All that time, this tiny tidbit had been glossed over. We would be getting more sleet and freezing rain than snow, sure. But what those TV meteorologists had accidentally failed to mention was that this could be a slight problem for us folks here in Backroads. Not in the slippery-road-problem kind of way. In the ICEPOCALYPSE of '06 kind of way.

I listened to those ice-cryers, proclaiming that utility crews from out-of-state were traveling here to await our depowering, and thought of the monster-shouter in The Stand. Until I remembered that he was kind of right. Here it was, sleet already falling, and freezing rain coming, and me not knowing how to hook up the generator and keep from frying all of our electrical circuits. Wasn't THAT a fine how-do-you-do? Lucky for me, Genius was lolling around like Axl on The Middle. Luckier for me, we had power until 7:38 p.m. Lucky for you, I had posted to my blogs a bit early due to my SNOW DAY.

It really wasn't that bad. I had just settled into my basement recliner with 236 Pounds of Class Vice President. I was on the final few pounds. The part where author Jason Mulgrew dons a fur cape to give his vice-presidential candidate speech. And the power went out. I grabbed my green and red and white fleece blanket, The Pony fetched me one of his book lights, we lit two hazelnut cream candles, and settled in for a bit of a wait.

After thirty minutes, Hick and Genius went to the garage to fire up the generator. Gennie was having none of it. Nothing like having your vital machinery in working condition, ready to assume the load when needed. It took them another thirty minutes to make Gennie power up. Then The Pony and I were able to watch King of the Nerds, and become one step closer to seeing who prevailed in the house called Nerdvana, to eventually ascend  the Throne of Games.

Luckier for us, the power returned after only ninety minutes. Sometimes, I think Missouri needs to bury its power lines in a shallow grave like my telephone line from pole to house. Or like cat poop in a sandbox.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing like bieng prepared and then find out you're unprepared. Frankly the candles would make me nod off and my chin would hit the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds to me like you were very well prepared for this storm, and you rode it out in style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like losing your power to help you realize it wasn't so powerful after all. We should all have to lie on the floor and read our books by a fire like Abe Lincoln once in a while to put us in touch with what is really important. Like maybe getting the carpets cleaned

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    I was looking for the book light the next evening, just in case, and it was gone. An interrogation of The Pony revealed that he had taken back his battery-powered illuminator to use as a clip to close a bag of Cheetos. Candles as sleep inducers, book lights as chip clips...different deeds for different needs, I suppose.

    *******
    Stephen,
    I was prepared with the proper personnel. Alone, I would have piled on the blankets and taken a nap.

    *******
    Leenie,
    Then we can walk ten miles uphill to school and back in the snow.

    ReplyDelete