Friday, July 5, 2019

Backroads Enemy #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

Hick saw a curious thing on the Facebook page of our unofficial road association. It's comprised of people who live out here in our gravel-roads enclave. Used for reporting power outages and lost pets and suspicious vehicles and road issues.

"I seen on Facebook this morning that other people have been getting flat tires. They were asking if it happened to anyone else. Our neighbor Copper Jack's human mom has had THREE flat tires! There's been six all together. That's not just a coincidence."

"Yeah. Don't forget T-Hoe! But that's been going on for a month or more. It must be on the main road, down by the mailboxes, for so many to happen."

"I wouldn't be surprised of it's stuff falling off all that junk that HOS [Hick's Oldest Son] has been hauling out of here on his trailer, from our other property. Like those old lawmowers. It was a BOLT that was stuck in A-Cad's tire..."

"Well. I don't think I'd mention that on Facebook."

Hick is quick to point the finger. But I think he might be onto something. It's a bouncy gravel road, and I'm sure that stuff gets jounced around. HOS is not known to be a slow driver.

Maybe I should send Hick down there on his Gator, with a metal detector. He really does need something to occupy his time, now that Hick House is no longer his main project.

12 comments:

  1. That fella will always find something to keep him occupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he re-built about 20 fishing poles yesterday. He has a kit of assorted metal tips to put on poles that have broken off.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that if a penny hits a tire just right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Not my rightful pennies in somebody else's tire!

      Delete
  3. The metal detector is a great idea, I think Hick should go out there right now and not come back until everything alien to road surface is picked up. 6 punctures is too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might even find some treasures to collect, or to sell at his Storage Unit Store. I found a leather work glove down by the mailboxes. Just one, but it's for the right hand. I bet he could sell that!

      Delete
  4. I thought about getting a metal detector and crawling around under all the porches at the resort we stayed at a few weeks ago. After all I found 16 cents in an hour and with help it could be another side hustle. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I think you would enjoy it, except for the crawling part. I'm sure you could find a used metal detector at a flea market or yard sale or Goodwill, unless you want to spring for a new one, which might cut into the profits of finding 16 cents under porches.

      Ours is in the living room closet. Belonged to son Genius when he was 8 or 10. He found some coins and old metal buttons. Don't remember what else, but he was excited when he found things. Hick has taken it a couple places, just for fun.

      Delete
  5. Gravel roads have a reputation, rightly earned.

    Have you posted the finish $5000 project results yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summaries on the $5000 house are in June 11, 12, 13, 14, and June 24, 25, 26.

      Or you can go up to the top of my blog, in the search box in the left corner, and put: Hick House Makeover. Not sure what order they'll pop up there.

      Delete
  6. HOS and HeWho could compete to see how many projectiles they can drop for others to "find". Had a camper come up and give me a screw he found on his site. He told me there was a nice long trail of them. I can tell you what happened and I don't even have to see it. He had a box of screws on the golf cart and the box dumped it's contents on the floor and he has a trail of them EVERYWHERE. At least those did not end up in my leg, they looked to be about 4" long and brand new. My leg screw was only an inch and a half …. and rusty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly happy that HeWho has not been driving his golf cart around here. I don't need another flat tire, and I certainly don't need a screw in my leg!

      I hope you've had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years! We can't have you getting lockjaw, unable to give people a piece of your mind!

      Delete