Saturday, May 18, 2019

One of Val's CENTSes Is On the Fritz

This week's path to Future Pennyillionaire was short. Truncated. A road nearly not taken.

TUESDAY, May 14, I thought it was off to a good start. I had to park at the opposite end of Orb K's lot. How dare people stop for their convenience needs when I was on the hunt! I'd no sooner stepped out of T-Hoe than I saw it.


Just past the sidewalk peninsula that separates parking from the drive-thru lane. Of course I dashed out there to rescue Ol' Abe.


From the looks of him looking up at me, I was too late. Yes, that's his face. I couldn't read the date, even with a magnifying glass. I'm guessing around 2014, from the shield design on his tail side.

When I came out of the store and climbed into T-Hoe, I couldn't believe my luck. I spied ANOTHER penny! I might need to park here more often.


See it there, in the corner of the curb? Near the left side of a triangle formed if you draw a line across those cigarette butts? Yeah. I thought I saw it, too. Went to the trouble of getting a picture. Two.


Turns out it wasn't a penny at all! It's hard to tell with the sun glinting off the screen of my phone. My first clue was when I couldn't pick it up. STUCK! And soft. You can bet I pantomimed picking something up and putting it in my pocket. For the benefit of the car at the drive-thru window. Wouldn't want anyone to think Val is crazy...

So I actually only found one penny this week, of indeterminable age. Better one than none! Maybe I even learned something. Like I might need new glasses. Or at least to wear my glasses.
__________________________________________________________________

2019 Running Total
Penny   # 60.
Dime   still at 8.
Nickel  still at 7.
Quarter  still at 1.

2018 TOTALS
Penny  131
Dime  17
Nickel  6
Quarter  1

2017 TOTALS (Started in March, 2017)
Penny  78
Dime   6
Nickel  0
Quarter  0
___________________________________________________________________

12 comments:

  1. So funny that you faked the pick up to avoid the finger ear twirl thing.

    I found a nickle at the gym today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Val is all about her image as perceived by complete strangers she'll never see again. A NICKEL! That's so unfair! You're not even a... um... COLLECTOR!

      Delete
  2. You're right, one penny is better than none and maybe you'll find extra on other days, maybe another nickel or dime to make up the losses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a dime at the gas station filling the car and getting my 44 oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been noticing that you also partake of Diet Coke, and seem to have luck finding coins. As long as you stay in your region, and I stay in mine, I think there should be plenty of cents and magical elixir for the both of us!

      See that, Joe H? A DIME! Heh, heh! That's TWICE your nickel!

      Delete
    2. Maybe I need to start drinking diet coke.

      Delete
    3. You'd better find a penny goblet at a yard sale before you start imbibing Diet Coke, just so you're ready to collect your future pennyillionaire fortune.

      Delete
  4. Could my total lack of coinage be due to the fact I don't like diet coke? nor the other kind either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the lack is due to you not being a DIET Coke fiend. And maybe to the higher value of the coins there. Nobody really cares enough to bend over if they drop a penny.

      Delete
    2. I would bend over and pick up a penny if I dropped it! They add up! Now, if I were in your neck of the woods, I would leave a trail of pennies just for you!

      Delete
    3. I pinch those pennies so tightly that I NEVER drop one! A trail of pennies? I'm not worthy!

      Delete