Monday, January 14, 2019

The 50-Foot Solution

Here's what's keeping me going right now:


It's a 50-foot ethernet cable stretched from the router in a cabinet under Genius's desk to the back of New Delly's tower. Uh huh. Across the floor. Router to desktop. It didn't photograph well. The wire is actually a pretty blue color. Not that such a cosmetic feature matters...


I'd pull back and show it without the tight closeup, but then you'd see what a slob I am, and all the junk piled around my office. Because that wire runs along about six feet of countertop, and lays there waiting to strike, the other end snaking along another four feet of dropped-down countertop that is my desk, behind my monitor, to the back of New Delly.

This arrangement really doesn't bother me, except for the fact that the wire prevents me from piling more junk in that area. Oh, and I have to be extra-careful when walking in and out of my dark basement lair. Because another anomaly of that top picture is the brightness. It's DARK in that spot. The office fluorescent light by the door is burned out, and also the one in the lair behind it. AND the ceiling light just outside the door is burned out, along with the ceiling light over Genius's desk having only one bulb of three working. I think it's 20 watts.

Seriously. I live like a sewer rat trying to avoid discovery. Not by my choice, though. Hick's excuse is that he's never down here, so he doesn't know when a light burns out. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT? In what world would Val not politely inform accuse Hick of the blackout, and request demand a replacement?

Anyhoo...this wire doesn't lay flat on the floor. No siree, Bob! It kinks up like a dragon's back, trying to catch my toe every time I step over it. I'd say those loops are at least six inches off the shadowy floor.

I'm pretty sure Hick is trying to kill me...

14 comments:

  1. Low light and a trip wire, it will look like an accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that's part of Hick's plan.

      Delete
  2. Those dang wires. I finally stretched it out a bit and lay a heavy rug over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would only be there a day or two. Now we're waiting on another component, after ruling out the main ethernet wire through the ceiling as the problem.

      Delete
  3. That spiral snake is going to trip you up if you aren't careful in your lair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Every time I step over it, I hear my mom telling me, "You be careful!" Not in a deranged, hearing-voices kind of way. Just remembering how she used to caution me about going up and down the steps when Hick was away on his business trips.

      Delete
  4. Do you want me to yell at him? Sheesh, get those light bulbs changed, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it. Kind of hard to shame Hick into doing anything before he's ready.

      Delete
  5. You're down in your dark basement lark IN THE DARK????
    How many bulbs/globes and what size do you need? I'll bring my own ladder, okay? For heaven's sake, did you not recently have The Pony to stay? He could have climbed a ladder and changed those globes for you. At least put them on your shopping list and buy them next time you're in The Devil's Playground. And if I were you, I'd tape down that cable. I know it's meant to be temporary, but so are the chairs on your porch....(I'm frowning and shaking my finger at you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how those basement lights were working when The Pony was here, and burned out the day we got back home without him. The office lights have been out for a long time. Hick says he has the replacements, but I don't know why he's not putting them in. They're the long fluorescent bulbs. This might last as long as the chairs on the porch...

      Delete
    2. Tell Hick he needs to put in the replacement lights, DAMN IT!! If you fall & hurt yourself, who will cook his dinner?

      Delete
    3. That might make him take notice. Or I could just SAY that I tripped over the wire, because I couldn't see it, and I'm too sore to make supper.

      Delete
  6. I am pretty sure that even if there was a way to conceal that wire and keep it out of your walking path, it would still be there! You would have to do that yourself. Wonder how I know that?

    ReplyDelete