Thursday, April 5, 2018

Stone Cold Destruction Comes to Backroads

Tuesday afternoon, I was happily typing away on New Delly in my dark basement lair, 30 oz of Diet Coke still at my side, when my screen locked up. I hate it when that happens. Sometimes I need to open a new browser. Sometimes I need to restart. Now and then, there's a downpour that interferes with the satellite dish that feeds me my connection. On rare occasions, there's an issue with the modem, and I have to do some tried-and-true rituals to get my innernets back.

Since I was perfectly comfortable in my lair, with everything I needed (magical elixir, NASCAR bathroom) close by...I saw no need to ascend the 13 stairs to look outside. Nor did I have any inclination to leave my lair, make a right at the mini fridge, another right at the pool table, traipse through Hick's workshop, and wrestle open the spring-bar deadbolt on the basement door to look out back. Nope. I picked up my phone (which works better in the basement than in the living room) and texted Hick.

"Is it raining? Do you know why my internet would be down?"

"Yes it's storming lots of warnings"

Huh. The people in Hawaii can get FAKE warnings to take cover due to nuclear war, but I can't get a thunderstorm warning? I guess us flyover people can just be left unawares, to perish. Except for Hick. Who may or may not possibly be a spy, for all we know, what with his world travels due to "work." At least we dodged the Chinese space station when the sky was falling on Easter Sunday. I bet the people in Tahiti bent over to kiss their butts goodbye. IF they got a warning...

Anyhoo...I'd no sooner gotten that text back from Hick than I heard a tremendous pounding noise from above. Pieces of that Chinese space station wouldn't have sounded so menacing. I figured that we were getting some hail, which would explain my internet outage, and that my service would probably return within an hour or two.

As luck and Even Steven would have it, I was reconnected to the world within 15 minutes. And also with Hick. Who came down to my lair to show me pictures on his phone. I don't know why he didn't just sent them to me. Or bring me the authentic items in the pictures.


Yes. We got some hail. It was scattered throughout the yard. Hick picked some up.


Hick's hand is not really misshapen. It's the angle, I think. But the picture does illustrate the magnitude of those hailstones. Lucky for us, our metal roof was not damaged, A-Cad and T-Hoe were safely ensconced in the garage, the Gator was under the carport, Hick's 1980 Olds Toronado was inside his new Freight Container Garage, and Hick was at the car repair shop checking on his Ford F250, while driving his Trailblazer. They didn't get hail there.

"I was just telling my buddy that you'd sent me a text. He said there were warnings for 60 mile an hour wind, and hail, up at the state park. And he said, 'Your house is right in line with the state park, isn't it?'"

Looks like everybody knew about the weather but me. Let a kid be kidnapped, and I'm scared out of my skin by an Amber Alert coming in on my phone. Odds are slim that I would encounter the little Amber. I do, however, exist in mostly harmony with the elements. Weather is all around me, 24/7/365. But weather warnings shun me. I never set up my phone to get either of those kinds of bulletins, yet I get one, but not the other.

So far we haven't found anything dented or destroyed, but a metal table blew across the porch. I guess I was safe enough, being in my subterranean lair during the storm.

12 comments:

  1. Wow that hail was so bad just look at what it did to Hick's hand while he was out there catching it!

    Seriously hail can do some major damage at times I am glad that any damage if any that you got is minor, and that you were in the safety of your basement lair, oblivious to everything going on outside, this sounds to me like the old basement lair is working well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Hick's hand got all stove up. Good thing it's not on his Poparm. Now he has one good hand and one good arm.

      I'm glad our roof dodged damage with this one.

      Delete
  2. Biggest hail I ever seen in dirty-water-cocktail land was not even 1/4 the size of those babies...they could do some damage for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you don't get the big ones. They might be good to drop into a dirty-water cocktail to chill it...

      Delete
  3. Those are big stones! I remember a day we had hail so thick on the ground it wasn't melted until the sun had been out again for an hour, piles of it against the fence lines and in corners. The lawn got a good watering that day as the ice melted. But the stones were all small, like marbles that kids play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Hick would have told me he had big stones...if he'd thought of it.

      We've had some hailstorms that left the ground coated, but they were very small, and it looked like snow. Just a little bigger than the pellets in that astronaut ice cream stuff.

      Delete
    2. "Big Stones" tee hee, tee hee!

      Delete
    3. I figured your 13-year-old self would appreciate that!

      Delete
  4. We had fierce wind that lifted a bench off the front porch and sent it twenty feet across the driveway. No other damage other than my heart double timing. Stay in your lair. You are safer there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that you were not SITTING on that bench at the time!

      Delete
  5. We got hail, too. HeWho did a ride through to check on all the rigs that are stored or occupied. He does not climb up and look at roof damage unless we really like that tenant, though. I do not like anyone enough to climb up to their roof ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Another perk of being liked: a roof inspection after a hail storm.

      Delete