Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Pony Will Always Be Special To Me

Yet another vignette from last weekend's writers' conference...

The Pony is a writer of science fiction, fantasy, and poetry. He discovered his talent a couple of years ago. When I asked if he wanted to attend this conference a while back, he was all for it, even though he knew he was going to have a busy summer. So far, four weeks have been taken up by tutoring elementary students for his A+ program, Missouri Boys State, and an engineering camp at the college Genius attends. He's had several edits to do for his story that is being published in Building Red: Mission Mars, an anthology which should be out in August.

At the conference, The Pony and I sat together for the welcome and the opening keynote speaker. The Pony is a laid-back kind of fellow, but he must always be fiddling with something. We found this out way back in elementary school. His scratchings were almost illegible. He had a heavy hand with the pencil. In fact, he hated to write. He finished his work quickly, and sometimes his idle hands got him into trouble. The school hooked him up with an occupational therapist who suggested that he have something to do with his hands while listening to the lesson, or after he finished his assignments. We got him a variety of stress balls to squeeze while waiting for his next task.

Once a ball-squeezer (heh, heh, I said ball-squeezer), always a ball-squeezer. He outgrew this therapeutic crutch somewhat. The troublemaking waned, but The Pony was still a fiddler. Bending he corner of his paper, twisting his pencil, bouncing his eraser. He needed something to occupy his hands. Lately, he has taken to squeezing a small square of modeling clay left over from his science fair project. He does this absentmindedly while concentrating on TV, mulling story plots at his laptop, or waiting for return texts on his phone. It's a harmless enough habit, though I do not want his clay hands touching my stuff until he's washed them.

During the opening speech, I noticed The Pony out of the corner of my eye. He was working on that lump of clay like he was going to mold a miniature Thinker, a duplicate David, a replica Venus de Milo. Then, to my consternation, he rolled the clay into a perfect sphere, and started stabbing it with the eraser of his mechanical pencil. A dimpled orb emerged, which he rolled between his palms. I'm used to such antics. But the rest of the crowd, probably not so much. Still, I said nothing. He's The Pony. That's what he does.

We separated for various sessions, then reunited for lunch. Again, we parted ways. While standing outside the conference rooms, awaiting the final presentations before the closing remarks, The Pony ditched me! It might have had something to do with my comment, I supposed.

"You know, maybe you should cool it with the clay for a while. I can only imagine what those people were thinking this morning when you were jabbing it with your eraser."

"That? Oh, I made it dimpled, like golf ball. It made the best noises when I rolled it between my hands!"

"You crack me up. They probably thought, 'Oh, maybe that boy is special, and his mom had to bring him along because she didn't have anybody to watch him.' Not that there's anything wrong with that."

"Meh. I don't care."

"Yeah. Me neither. I just don't want you distracting people with you clay-stabbing. You don't have to put on a show."

"I know. Are you done? I'm going to sit down there in those chairs until time to go in."

"Okay. I'll see you later."

Well. What I found out later was that The Pony ditched me to go sit by a young girl who was also attending the conference. "Didn't you notice, Mom? I sat down right next to her. She's having a book published!"

"You're going to be published, too."

"Mine is just a story in an anthology. Hers is a whole book of her own short stories!"

"Yeah, but she didn't win third place in a contest today."

"I guess people saw that I really was special, huh?"

"That they did. Did you get her number?"

"Mom! She's only going into her freshman year!"

I embarrass The Pony far more than he could ever dream of embarrassing me.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, my, that Pony is going to turn your hair gray, Val. And Hick, I imagine, will just snort and chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I send him trotting to the other end of Walmart to grab a box of L'Oreal for me.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't want to test him with an embarrassment contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony can embarrass with one hand tied behind his back. As I was getting out of T-Hoe when Hick dropped us off at the conference, I asked The Pony to hand me my purse from where he had it stashed in the back seat.

      "Come on. We're parked in the street. We've gotta go.

      "I'm trying to get it up!"

      Heh, heh.

      Delete
  3. Plopped down beside her and started poking holes in his ball? :)
    You can sure weave a story. Where's YOUR book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had his eye on her all day, and took this last chance to make a connection. She was seated a bit in front of us during the ball-stabbing activity, but she might have heard the noise of his ball rolling between his palms.

      My book is bogged down in a plethora of super-secret blog posts dating back to 2005, and lacks a theme in the way I lack focus.

      Delete
  4. So she is too young for The Pony? If she's that young, she might think that fiddling with clay isn't "special," that it is--instead--cool.

    Doesn't The Pony already have a lady friend? If so, doesn't that mean he was two-timing her?

    Does he think other pastures are greener?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Too young. I told him maybe she was a college freshman, but he said that was NOT the case, and anyway, that would make her too OLD. He's like the Goldilocks of suitors.

      The Pony and his previous lady friend are in the Friend Zone. They still burn up the atmosphere with their constant daily texting. He has moved on to a new paramour, even farther away, but still in state. She is one year younger than he. The Pony doesn't let any grass grow under his feet.

      Delete
  5. It is of course the job of every good family member to know how to embarrass the others. And I'm always fascinated with the little fidget-items kids fashion in school. Some are sort of ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fidget items that I find troublesome are paperclips bent to simulate braces. And actually worn on the teeth.

      Delete