Friday, February 6, 2015

Hick Is a Grave Not-Robber

Did you know there are no antonyms for robber? That's what my BFF Google tells me, anyway. So I must resort to making up my own words again.

At Mom's funeral today, Hick became a grave not-robber. He not only did not TAKE anything...he GAVE something. All last evening, folks coming through the receiving line spoke fondly of how Mom always brought a bag of candy to church. It's true. She had a baggie filled with butterscotch, cinnamon, peppermint, and Worther's hard candies. She passed them out to all around her. They even called her The Candy Lady.

Once, when Genius was working up in the balcony with the audio visual team, the choir director went up to get some candy that Mom had given Genius in the baggie to share. The director, rather than coming down to return the baggie after partaking, looked over the rail and decided to drop it down to Mom. She was in her regular place on the last pew, of course. That did not end well. The baggie hit the back of the pew and made a horrendous noise during the sermon. Mom did not get in trouble. The choir director did.

Last night on the way home, Hick said, "I don't want to have any regrets. I always regretted that I did not bury my dad in his bib overalls like he wanted. And I'm going to get a bag of candy to send with your mom. She always had that bag, offering it to everybody."

And so he did. As soon as we arrived at the funeral home this afternoon, Hick went inside and slipped that baggie full of butterscotch, cinnamon, peppermint, and Worther's hard candies into Mom's coffin, just out of sight.

He's a good guy, that Hick.

11 comments:

  1. What a neat story. And yes, that Hick is quite a good guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness. This is the first time that actual tears came from my eyes and they weren't from an overabundance of laughter.

    Hick is a sentimental ol' future barbershop extraordinaire...

    ReplyDelete
  3. joeh,
    Hick has his moments, when the bumbling and fumbling take a back seat, and his true noble self is thrust to the forefront.

    *****
    Becky,
    Hick means well. He has always had a good rapport with the elderly.

    *****
    Sioux,
    He said today, "I took care of Q (an old man he was friends with for a long time), and he's gone. I went to see your grandma every Sunday, and she's gone. Now that your mom is gone, I don't have anybody to visit."

    *****
    Stephen,
    Yes, and he hides it well most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of when we buried my dad in a polo shirt & casual slacks because he hated wearing a suit & tie. We wanted him to be comfortable throughout eternity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm sure you have never regretted that outfit.

      Delete
  5. And don't forget how he saved all the little eggs for her because "she loved them".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID forget! So thoughtful of Hick to save those tiny eggs just for her, even though she had no idea what to do with them.

      Delete
  6. Hick is a good guy! Brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's like those Sour Patch Kids. Sometimes he's sour. Sometimes he's sweet. And sometimes, he's like an onion.

      Delete