Wednesday, August 24, 2022

No Mirrors on the Ceiling, No Pink Champagne on Ice

Val is a prisoner in her own home! Might as well be wearing a court-ordered ankle bracelet. Locked in without a key. Well. Without a lock as well. Just a prisoner of her own device. Not at the Hotel California. More like the Hotel Backroads.

There's a long tall bridge I must cross to get to town. Unless I want to drive 10 miles out of my way. I'm not that desperate. The bridge is being resurfaced, finally, after being scraped down and bumpy with a hole showing the water below, through only a rebar grid, for nigh on three weeks. 

The news was in the local paper. From 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday, the bridge would be one lane. You don't know how people drive around here! Flying along at 75 mph on this lettered county highway, coming up over the hill where I pull out to get on that bridge. So I decided to stay home on Tuesday and Wednesday. Okay. Maybe venture out Wednesday after 4:30.

Hick said instead of live flagmen this time, they've put up stoplights at each end of the bridge. A red light that turns to flashing yellow. I guess that would work. IF you trust those maniac drivers to stop at a red light with no chance of a hidden camera to hold them to lawfulness. I, myself, do not.

The Pony was coming out Tuesday afternoon, to help Hick close Poolio for the season. I warned him about the bridge lane-i-ness, but that was before I knew about the lights. I told Hick I was worried about The Pony coming out now.

"He ain't stupid. He's been driving a lot for work. He'll know what to do."

"REALLY? Without a green light? I can imagine The Pony sitting there, cars piling up behind him, waiting for a green light."

The Pony got here. First words out of his mouth: "That bridge deal is CRAZY!"

"They was all done when I come through about an hour ago."

"They looked like they weren't working. Just standing there. But still..."

"Were you waiting for a green light?"

"No. I waited. But it was because the cars ahead of me were already halfway across the bridge. It's so far. I was afraid as soon as they got off, the line waiting would come at me while I was still on the bridge. And there's nowhere to go."

I understand. I'd rather be safe and LOSE MY CHANCE AT PENNIES AND SCRATCHER WINNERS than trust other Backroads drivers to obey a temporary traffic light.

8 comments:

  1. Assuming that everyone will obey the light is not a good idea! They have been resurfacing one of the major roads that we take to go to the doctor since we moved here. Some days we can get through with no delays, then other days we wait for the flagman. This is the part of the road in North Carolina only. You know when you enter Georgia without even looking. The road turns to crap! I would not trust a light system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A less-major road is undergoing utility pole replacement. They at least have a real live flagman. I think they are in danger, but at least people seem more likely to stop for a person holding a stop sign.

      Delete
  2. In the big city, it is becoming the norm for drivers not to obey traffic signals and road signs. Stay safe Gambling Gal,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed more stoplight-runners at the intersection where I saw the log trailer. Gotta watch all three ways, not just trust the lights.

      Delete
  3. With the bridge down to one lane, I would expect a flag man to control the each way traffic, but they don't work 24 hours, so the lights would also have to be there, but I think they should be red and green and on timers, so one direction gets the green for a minute or two, then the other direction gets the green, just like at major intersections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they work on this bridge, they usually have a "pace car." Which is a truck that has an electronic sign on the back, stopping traffic, then driving through with a line following. There's one on the other side, too. Once across, the truck turns around and waits for the next group of cars. I think it might be because cars drive too fast on this road, and might not stop for a flagman.

      At the end of the work day, they move all machinery off the bridge, and traffic flows as usual. Same with the lights. They took them down. I'm pretty sure the lights work on a sensor, or they have someone controlling them.

      Delete
  4. On the other hand the lights would need to be wired into the system, so perhaps just crossing your fingers and hoping is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see the light set-up for myself. Only have the descriptions of Hick and The Pony.

      Delete