Saturday, July 18, 2020

Sing a Song of Ten CENTS

Val is in her counting house, counting out her Future Pennyillionaire Fortune! It has been a profitable week.

SUNDAY, July 12, dirty dirty Orb K once again came through with a penny.


Looks like the same employee responsible for sweeping is also responsible for stocking the candy in front of the counter.


It was a face-down 2014 penny. With a reflection that makes it look like it's on fire!
_____________________________________________________________________

TUESDAY, July 14, Orb K once again shouldered the load of providing my coinage. A penny was waiting for me at the door!


Of course I risked a concussion from an opening door to stoop and pick it up. My ample rumpus might not have been seen from space, but I'm pretty sure it was seen from the parking spaces, the gas pumps, the county road, and the interstate overpass.


It was a face-down 2012, too tempting to step over. I can't believe somebody didn't snatch it before I got there!

But WAIT! Once inside, I found ANOTHER penny waiting for me at the counter!


This was resting near the still-depleted snack rack, but at least the floor had seen a cursory sweeping in the past two days.


It was a face-down 1979 penny, unable to camouflage itself on the worn-away, over-polished floor surface.
____________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, not to be outdone, the Backroads Casey's had thoughtfully left THREE coins waiting for me, just beside T-Hoe as I climbed out.

I first noticed the penny and nickel together, near the right side of the picture. Then the lone penny on the left edge caught my eye.


It was a face-down 1995 penny, and a heads-up 1990 nickel.


The other penny was a heads-up 1980 version.
_______________________________________________________________

That makes 6 coins this week (five pennies and one nickel), for a total of 10 CENTS. It won't be long before I can afford a four-and-twenty-blackbird pie!
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 74, 75, 76, 77, 78.
Dime         still at 13.
Nickel       # 8.
Quarter    still at 1.

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. My dad used to say, "You're nickleing and diming me to death." He'd be impressed with your finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have said, "I'll resuscitate you with my found nickels and dimes!"

      Delete
  2. I almost want to send Ol' Hicks a few pennies to scatter around for you. Wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes Hick finds his own! I consider him THE COMPETITION! He sure doesn't give them to me. They go in his giant plastic Coke bottle bank.

      Delete
  3. Hah! We have Four and Twenty pies here in Australia, it's a brand name, but I don't think blackbirds are an ingredient.
    Is the an ad for cigarettes at $2.99?? Out here a pack of smokes can cost as much as $50, depending on which brand you prefer. The aim is to stop young people taking up the habit and maybe get a few older addicted persons to quit because they can't afford it. What really happens is the parents still get their smokes while the kids go hungry, or there is a lot more theft going on, people stealing cigarettes, or stuff they can pawn to get ciggie smoke money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'll have to forego the blackbird pie, and switch to bread and honey! I was playing on the nursery rhyme, Four and Twenty Blackbirds.

      Yes, that's $2.99 for an off-brand pack of cigarettes. Google tells me that the average price of a pack of brand name cigarettes, like Marlboro, is $5.25 in Missouri.

      Delete