Sunday, July 12, 2020

A Trifecta of Coincidences

SOMEBODY seems to know that The Pony is back home.

Saturday morning, we were getting ready to leave for town. I drop him off at Walmart with a list, and he does my shopping. I drive over to the School-Turn Casey's for some scratchers, and get back about the time he's in the checkout.

I was putting on my shoes as The Pony rummaged around at the long couch.

"Oh, Mom! Look what I found under the middle couch cushion while I was looking for my earbuds!" He held out a PENNY. "You're not the only one who finds them! I have no idea how it got there, or how long it's been there. It was in the middle. Not in a crack between the cushions. It's a 2011."

Huh. Of course I was jealous! The 11th of a certain month is my birthday.

Anyhoo... off we went to town. I told him we were driving through the cemetery. I hadn't been yet this week. We only spent a minute. Then off to Walmart, where The Pony bought himself a couple of crossword puzzle scratchers in the lottery machine.

We were nearly home, tooling down the blacktop county road, when I put my hand on The Pony's shoulder and said, "I'm really going to miss you when you leave again. I've enjoyed our time together today."

The Pony didn't say much, having the old feedbag strapped on to devour a Whopper, with cheese, no pickle no tomato.

I switched stations on the radio, to Prime Country on SiriusXM. You'll never guess what song came on. Oh, yes you will. Since I mention it all the time, as being OUR SONG that The Pony and I hear, that reminds us of my mom. Holes in the Floor of Heaven, by Steve Wariner.

We looked at each other. "That's our song, Pony! What are the odds we would be out together, on that station, when it started playing?"

The Pony had finished his lunch, and went back to scratching his crossword puzzle tickets that he'd set aside when the food came out the window at the Burger King drive-thru. He started the last one. Finished just as we stopped for him to get the mail out of the mailbox.

"I'm pretty sure it's a loser." He handed me the mail. We started up the gravel road for home.


"Oh, Mom. This ticket I just finished? One of the words on it is DOT."


My mom's name was Dorothy. But everyone called her "Dot."

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Last night at 3:50 a.m., I was woken up in my OPC (Old People Chair) in the basement, by The Pony upstairs in the kitchen, having a conversation with MY DAD. The Pony says he was not awake at the time, and not talking to anybody.

      Delete
  2. You talk about all the weirdos you run into. I wonder what they think of YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they think more highly of me than you do!

      I've always said that I imagine the weirdos back home, typing furiously in their blog posts, about the weirdo THEY encountered.

      The last two are marveling at the weirdo who sat at her slot machine, allowing one to kick her in the ankle five times, and the other to hold her smoldering cigarette under the clear plastic barrier so all the smoke drifted into the weirdo's private cubicle.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I see a pattern that rules out randomness...

      Delete
  4. That's sweet, Dot keeping an eye on The Pony :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a special bond. As much as The Pony bonds with anyone, in his way!

      Delete