Saturday, March 3, 2018

Val's Trifecta is Heaven-Cent

Rejoice, pennyphiles! And harumph and bah-humbug all you want, antipennyites! After a long dry spell (16 DAYS), I have finally found another penny! I'm not going to build my Future Pennyillionaire fortune like this!

At least I found more than one coin. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I know how you all SO enjoy these long, wandering stories.

I had almost given up on my penny discoveries. It HAD been over two weeks since I'd found one, and not for lack of trying. I travel from T-Hoe to convenience store entrance with my head down, like a bloodhound after an escaped con. Without the drooling and baying, though.

I turned onto the Gas Station Chicken Store lot on Tuesday, February 27th, intent on parking over by the moat that separates this business from CeilingReds, Hick's pharmacy. The lot is not congested over there. I can park in peace, and not worry that someone is going to squeeze up against T-Hoe where I can't get my door open when I come out. However...there was a pickup truck attached to a long flatbed trailer over there. Encroaching on that spot.

Lucky for me, my rightful parking space, first one by the door, was available. A car was just backing out of it. So I waited, and pulled in. There were a man and woman sitting at the concreted-down round picnic table there. Of course they were eating chicken! I cut the engine so as not to disturb the enjoyment of their meal. I gathered up my winning scratchers, and counted out the correct change for my 44 oz Diet Coke.

All at once, the man jumped up and started running at T-Hoe. Ran right past my door. The lady was yelling at him. I normally don't get involved, but I really wanted my 44 oz Diet Coke. So I opened the door and slid down over the muddy running board. That man was laughing. He was trying to catch a stack of napkins that had blown off the table. He captured about half of them, and the rest flitted all willy-nilly across the blacktop. At least he tried.

I shouldered past him on his return to the dinner table, and rounded the back of T-Hoe to head toward the store. WHAT?


That was a penny, a nickel, and a dime! The trifecta! All waiting there for me! That 16 cents was perhaps supposed to make up for the 16-day penny-less interval between my last penny and this one!

Of course I took their picture. Pics or it didn't happen! I didn't even care what the chicken-eaters thought of me. I wasn't the one running across the parking lot after napkins, you know. I now had a new old 1967 penny, a 1992 nickel, and a 1985 dime. More cash for the Future Pennyillionaire pot. Or goblet.


I couldn't fit them all in the same closeup. Here's the penny and dime.


And the nickel. Actually, I'm lucky to have captured them in the frame at all, because the sun was bright, and causing a glare on the face of my phone. I just pointed and hoped for the best.

I would have missed them if I parked over by the moat.

_____________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Penny #13.
For 2018: Dime  # 6

For 2018: Nickel #2

Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 91.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Dime #12.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Nickel #2.
_____________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. Even Steven strikes again! At least that man tried to catch those napkins and didn't just leave them as litter. Next time I bet he uses a large pebble as a paperweight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that man obviously wasn't from around here! I think he probably had his chicken or a soda holding down the napkins, and when he picked it up, they got away. The lady with him was having a good laugh, hollering at him to "GET THEM!"

      Delete
  2. You are definitely back to even now, life is good again! You found a penny along with fifteen more cents to catch you up, plus got a little entertainment, yes the man chasing napkins can be considered as entertainment, I mean this is the gas station chicken store and not the theater...anyways congratulations on being even again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that works out for me. And just like that one week, I set the story to publish, and while I was away, I FOUND MORE PENNIES that should have gone on that week. Which runs from Sunday to Saturday, you know. They'll have to wait for next Saturday's pennyillionaire post.

      There IS a new means of entertainment at the Gas Station Chicken Store. A sort of celebrity! I'll get to that in a couple days...

      Delete