Thursday, June 9, 2022

Spare The Pony, Spoil the Internet

We've had intermittent thunderstorms Tuesday and Wednesday. They're not very intermittent when one hits. With a vengeance! Just my luck on Tuesday.

Hick was off in the middle of another nowhere, working on Back-Creek Neighbor Bev's new house. I don't know what his weather was like, but mine was not pleasant. I didn't get to bed until 5:30 a.m., trying to avoid the spraying of Hick's breather with his head-cold cooties. Around 9:30, I was awakened by thunder and lightning and pouring rain. We have a metal roof now, you know...

It slacked off after about an hour. By the time I got up at 11:30, the sun was shining! I sat down on the short couch for a few minutes, and noticed a black cloud hanging over the neighbors' horse field. It crept closer. And closer. Then all NOT-HEAVEN broke loose! Lightning, thunder, wind, sideways rain! It was pelting the front door, coming in under the four-foot span of roof.

Of course that killed the TV DISH reception. And I knew my internet would also be out, even though it has its own special satellite. At least I still had ELECTRICITY! I went to HIPPIE, my laptop, at the kitchen table, and played old-fashioned solitaire. Well. I guess truly old-fashioned solitaire would be with actual cards. Anyhoo... I was able to pass the time for 40 minutes until the services came back.

I was quite worried about The Pony being out in the elements, especially after his photos of fallen trees and sinkholes. His workplace is a dangerous gauntlet of hazards, even after surviving the bent stair rail descending from the loading dock, and the assorted inadequacies of the LLVs (Long Life Vehicles). We won't even talk about ankle-breaking sidewalks...

Anyhoo... I didn't want to bother The Pony in case he was driving, or trying to lie low and avoid being struck by lightning. So I didn't try to communicate until later in the evening. Just to make sure he had survived.

"Are you okay? We had some bad wind and rain here today."

"Yeah. I clocked out at 5:00, and I'm just finishing eating at Steak N Shake. Saw some thunder in your direction, but it never really went above a sprinkle while I was delivering."

I stopped myself from asking how he saw thunder.

"It was bright and sunny here. Saw this around 1:00 in your direction."

 
Looks like The Pony was in his LLV when he took this picture. I first thought it was a piece of gum on his windshield wiper, but upon zooming in, it looks like more of a berry. I hope The Pony wasn't off-roading in his LLV! That might be frowned upon.
 
"Lightning flashed a few times, and about twenty minutes later it started drizzling for a few hours. Was nice, it cooled the air down a lot."

I was relieved the weather was not a hardship for The Pony. I would gladly give up my internet to keep The Pony safe and dry during work!

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same about my kids. I'll walk through thunderstorms to bring them a jacket to wear home from school and other stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. No matter how old they get, they'll always be our kids!

      The Pony said that was indeed a BERRY on his windshield wiper, and that he was quite sad when he finally had to turn on the wipers to clear the mist off his windshield, and he LOST THE BERRY! Heh, heh. I guess it gets lonely out there delivering the mail, and you'll take any companion you can get.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I've told the boys that for years: "Nobody will ever love you like your Mom!"

      Delete