Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Hicklogical Thinking

As I was leaving for town on Monday afternoon, Hick came barrelling down the driveway in SilverRedO. He stopped to talk while I wasted T-Hoe's gas, and blinded myself squinting into the setting sun.

"Your favorite gambling aunt left me a message on Facebook that she got a new phone. She said to send her yours and my phone numbers."

"WAIT! You didn't put them on Facebook, did you?"

"No. I messaged her like she said."

"So she got a new phone? So does she have a new phone number? Why doesn't she have our phone numbers like she always did? Our home number is in the phone book. Why doesn't she just call to ask, or leave a message on our phone?"

"I don't know. I thought for a minute it might be a scam. Like I'm always getting friend requests from people that aren't really the people they say they are, when I ask them if they sent me a friend request. But I think this is really your aunt. You should call her and ask if she sent it to me."
 
"I don't have time for that! She'll talk two hours!"

I'd had enough of this scenario, and drove on to town. Then it hit me. If Gambling Aunt got a new phone, with a new phone number... how was I supposed to call her?

I think maybe there's some vital information missing in Hick's description of the events.

8 comments:

  1. A new cell phone would just swap out the thingamajig to save all contact information. A new regular phone wouldn't she just have your numbers on a rolodex or something or do they have speed dial memory on home phones? Still seems strange to me. Maybe it was the cashier who needed your phone numbers so she could process that charge that hasn't hit your account yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That's what I thought. Unless maybe she dropped it in a toilet or threw it out the car window on the highway. She doesn't use her home phone much, so probably no record of us on that, but we are in the freakin' phone book! Which is really thin these days. Shouldn't be hard to call our home number to talk, or ask for the other numbers.

      Heh, heh! Maybe it WAS that shifty cashier. We had a package delivered to our porch on Saturday. Something we never ordered, but addressed to ME. And believe me, it wasn't a treat!

      Delete
  2. Try calling her on her old number, she may have transferred it to her new phone. Or the whole thing is a scam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have two hours to kill, I'll give Auntie a call. She loves to talk! I'm afraid that she'll say, "No. Why would I ask on Facebook for your phone numbers?" Then I'll know for sure it's a scam, rather than just worrying that it's a scam.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that sounds like details I have been given from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking if this is legit, she won a jackpot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have not heard from her, so I doubt the jackpot theory. She wasn't featured in our local paper with the work group in Fredericktown who just won a million dollars on a draw game. They each get $62,000 before taxes.

      Delete