You may recall that Lap House has a tree in the front yard, with pink flowers. Not a lot of flowers. I don't know my trees or my flowers. The only pink flowering tree I know is a mimosa. Their leaves are distinctive, and the flowers all wispy. My grandma had several mimosas, and this tree is not it!
I went by Lap House for another picture out T-Hoe's window. You can see there are several flowers, but not a lot. It's not like a redbud tree, or a flowering dogwood (our state tree!). You can see that this one has a double trunk.
I tried to get a closeup of some flowers. My phone wasn't very cooperative. But I DID manage to zoom in on this photo to get one particular blossom.
I consulted my estranged BFF Google, and found a link for "45 Pink Flowering Trees (With Pictures): Identification Guide."
I scrolled and scrolled. I think HIPPIE shut down twice from overheating. And then, on the 45th tree (ain't that always how it goes?) I think I identified this tree!
Pink Flowering Rose of Sharon. Also called Hibiscus syriacas.
What do you think? It was the single blossom that fished me in. Also, I could see that the trunk(s) and leaves remind me of a shrub. Plus, it is blooming in the summer.
Anyhoo... it's a pleasant-looking tree to have in a front yard.



I don't know flowers either but these sure are pretty! :)
ReplyDeleteIt adds a bit of color to the yard. Rather than the old red porch foundation, heh, heh!
DeleteI think it is a Rose of Sharon. The tree must have been pruned at one time. I had one at my old house and it was more like a bush.
ReplyDeleteIt DOES look like an overgrown bush, with the tiny leaves and spindly trunks.
DeleteI saw that one distinctive blossom in the first photo and knew it was an overgrown hibiscus. We have them here in several shades of pink, red, orange, yellow. Mostly red and pink, though there are also white varieties.
ReplyDeleteI have not seen one before around here, but maybe because I don't notice plants very much unless they have fallen across the road into my path.
DeleteName it Val; it is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteBeauty is in the eye of the beholder, and internet commenters!
DeleteRight now the pink flowering trees you are describing are also here. So beautiful. I wish they would bloom for a longer time.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to pay attention to how long this one blooms.
Delete